RSLogix500 wild cards

CliveBaker

HI All,
I am trying to do some repeat logic on and existing code SLC504. The code is the same just the addresses are different, I have created all the new symbols with the new addresses but when I try to search for part of a symbol using wild card i.e. AV5* and replace AV15 it cannot fined AV5*.

any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Help states: You cannot use wild cards to search symbols or description text.

HI All,
I am trying to do some repeat logic on and existing code SLC504. The code is the same just the addresses are different, I have created all the new symbols with the new addresses but when I try to search for part of a symbol using wild card i.e. AV5* and replace AV15 it cannot fined AV5*.

any help would be appreciated.

AV5* <> AV15

Hope this is a typo in your post

Also, the asterisk is NOT needed. In fact, do not use it.

Last edited:
Help states: You cannot use wild cards to search symbols or description text.
But you can search for partial words.
They do NOT have to begin at the beginning.
I.E. You can search for 'LTM' and it will find FLTM_DRV_FLT

HI Kwade,
yes you can find limited text as you said but you cannot replace it, which is what I want to do. Also the typo was I missed the wild card * it should have been AV5* being replaced with AV15* which is how wild card are supposed to work. Yo can do it with addresses but it seems not with symbols or comments.

Greetings Clive.

It might be a little late for this since it looks like you've already entered the rungs, but when I have to create large amounts of similar code I use Microsoft Excel to create the PLC program rungs, then paste them into RSLogix using the mnemonic editor. For an example of how to do this, see this post.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=361042&postcount=11

HI Kwade,
yes you can find limited text as you said but you cannot replace it, which is what I want to do. Also the typo was I missed the wild card * it should have been AV5* being replaced with AV15* which is how wild card are supposed to work. Yo can do it with addresses but it seems not with symbols or comments.
I misread. I see that you wanted an *auto* replace. :oops:

Got it with the asterisk. Thanks

TConnolly has a good idea. Not sure how it helps with SYMBOLS.

Greetings Clive.

It might be a little late for this since it looks like you've already entered the rungs, but when I have to create large amounts of similar code I use Microsoft Excel to create the PLC program rungs, then paste them into RSLogix using the mnemonic editor. For an example of how to do this, see this post.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=361042&postcount=11

Hi TConnolly,
About 10 years ago when I was programming SCL's all the time I wrote a VBA program in Excel to read an IO list and create all the standard code, this saved weeks of work as the site we were working on has 15 SLC's and all the code looked the same. All the engineer's had to do was write the write the small amount of process code, the rest was done via VBA. Unfortunately I cannot find it.

A possible workaround might be to ASCII export the DB, import it into excel and do your search/replace there then reimport the modified file back to RSLogix.

Hi Doug-P
I did not make myself clear as to what I am doing. I am copying and pasting existing rungs and trying to rename the symbols to the new ones. I cannot modify or search and replace the pasted rung with the new tag I.E. AV5_AUTO to AV15_AUTO. I have to start to retype and it will pick it up from the data base when I have typed enough of the new symbol in for it to be recognised. In Step 7 you can search for AV5* and replace all AV5* with AV15* in symbols and comments. I have a lot of this to do for the Valve's, alarms, motors, faults and more, so it would be quicker if I could do a search and replace on the symbol. I have a distant memory that you used to be able to do this but I think I am wrong.
Just have to do it the long way. It has to be commissioned on Wednesday so I have lost to do.

HI Steve,
Thanks for that I got it to do what I wanted with a few tweak's. I've posted on that thread what I needed to do.