PLC-5 Direct Referencing B3/100

gschneider

Hello all,

I am working on an application in FTV8 and all the addresses I've been given are for a PLC and listed in the following format:

B3/100
B3/101
B3/102
etc.

When searching in the PLC5 Logix file, the search function converts them as such:

B3:6/4
B3:6/5
B3:6/6
etc

So my question is, can I leave the direct reference for these as {::[shortcut]B3/100} style or do I need to change EVERY SINGLE ONE to {::[shortcut]B3:6/4} style?

Thanks in advance!!

I think I may be able to help

B3/100 is the bit 100 of the B3 table starting at bit 0 (B3:0/0 )
some HMI's don't recognize the word in the address so you have to use the bit offset.

B3/100 would be word B3:6 Bit 3 or Address B3:6/3

I think I may be able to help

B3/100 is the bit 100 of the B3 table starting at bit 0 (B3:0/0 )
some HMI's don't recognize the word in the address so you have to use the bit offset.

Yeah that's sort of what I figured. Do you know if a PanelView+6 will recognize that?

Additionally, you can change the view properties (Address Display tab) in RSLogix5 so that they are displayed in the same "/Bit" format as what you are seeing in the tag database. This can be helpful at design time or when debugging.

I normally prefer the File:Word/Bit format with padded zeroes too, but sometimes if I am dealing with work done by others, I will leave it alone and just switch the view options in the ladder editor to help me out with monitoring and troubleshooting.

I'd check with your customer and then stick to the same style on both the PLC program and the HMI program. You know how to convert B3:6/4 to B3/100, but does Bubba on the hoot owl shift know how? It might save you a 2:00 AM phone call.

actually B3/00 is B3:6/3 bit 3 you forgot to include bit 0 and INT type word has 16 bits 0-15 the 4th bit I 3 not 4
I thought the question was why he was seeing the bit offset and not word address. I some cases they can be used interchangeably but in other they don't I know that some HMI's will only work with the bit offset. the alarm's in Panelview only works with the bit offset but they read in the whole word .
Also in AB the : is the word designator and / is the bit designator when used together they = File or table : Word / Bit

I thought the question was why he was seeing the bit offset and not word address.

The question was:

So my question is, can I leave the direct reference for these as {::[shortcut]B3/100} style or do I need to change EVERY SINGLE ONE to {::[shortcut]B3:6/4} style?.....

And it appears it works either way in FT View ME. The setting in your software is not relevant to FT View since it is only a display setting and changes nothing in the controller.

No..... That would be the 100th bit. But not Bit #100.

Word 0 = Bits 00 -15
Word 1 = Bits 16 - 31
Word 2 = Bits 32 - 47
Word 3 = Bits 48 - 63
Word 4 = Bits 64 - 79
Word 5 = Bits 80 - 95
Word 6 = Bits 96 - 111

Bit # always starts in a even number which is a multiple of 16.
Bit # always ends in an odd number

B3:6/0 - B3/96
B3:6/1 - B3/97
B3:6/2 - B3/98
B3:6/3 - B3/99
B3:6/4 - B3/100

Or here are some pictures from RSLogix to clarify.

OG

BitAddressing.jpg

Last edited:
The question was:

And it appears it works either way in FT View ME. The setting in your software is not relevant to FT View since it is only a display setting and changes nothing in the controller.

No..... That would be the 100th bit. But not Bit #100.

Word 0 = Bits 00 -15
Word 1 = Bits 16 - 31
Word 2 = Bits 32 - 47
Word 3 = Bits 48 - 63
Word 4 = Bits 64 - 79
Word 5 = Bits 80 - 95
Word 6 = Bits 96 - 111

Bit # always starts in a even number which is a multiple of 16.
Bit # always ends in an odd number

B3:6/0 - B3/96
B3:6/1 - B3/97
B3:6/2 - B3/98
B3:6/3 - B3/99
B3:6/4 - B3/100

Or here are some pictures from RSLogix to clarify.

OG

Does the view setting in RSLogix 5 affect PanelView communication?

I'd check with your customer and then stick to the same style on both the PLC program and the HMI program. You know how to convert B3:6/4 to B3/100, but does Bubba on the hoot owl shift know how? It might save you a 2:00 AM phone call.

I just sent him a test PV app and he is going to try it tomorrow. It has both styles of addressing.

Crossing my fingers that it accepts both styles.

Does the view setting in RSLogix 5 affect PanelView communication?

No. How it is displayed to the user makes no difference. That is a computer setting and has no impact on the controller or the PV terminal. You can go online to the controller from your PC and have it set to show the bit method while I am also online showing the word/bit method.

OG

No. How it is displayed to the user makes no difference. That is a computer setting and has no impact on the controller or the PV terminal. You can go online to the controller from your PC and have it set to show the bit method while I am also online showing the word/bit method.

OG

Thanks OG,

This gives me high hopes for the customer results tomorrow. I'll report back on the result. 🍻