can i create a mantissa ML 1000?

khewes

Goodmorning Everyone,

I am new to PLC programming, and I continuously come across limitations with my Micrologix 1000 plc controller.

Currently I need to use float numbers, but my controller does not support this. i was wondering if the mantissa applied to all binary numbers, or if it only applied to certain software driven binary? any ideaS?

Micrologix 1000 is obsolete.

I dont think there is an easy way to achieve floating point math functionality with an ML1000.
The best I can think of is to stay with integer math, eventually with shifting of the decimal point, and careful testing against crossing of the integer boundary limits (-32678 .. +32767).

If the above is not a satisfactory solution, how about changing to a newer PLC that supports floating point math. Yoy may find that it is quite inexpensive, and you will enjoy other good things such as online editing, more memory, faster processing, more I/O, etc. etc.

Agreed, drop it for a ML1400 and save hours of headache. It will pay for itself easily vs trying to program some half-baked floating point math with integers.

Agreed, drop it for a ML1400 and save hours of headache. It will pay for itself easily vs trying to program some half-baked floating point math with integers.

Yeah. i was at a dead end with no where to go. I just got the go ahead to spec out a new plc. Everything here is Allen Bradley so I want to stay consistent. Is the ML1400 the way to go?

Is the ML1400 the way to go?

If you are staying with a platform that is programmable with Logix500 then the ML1400 (orML1100) is the way to go. In fact, for Logix500 platforms, it is the only one I would use.

Consider making a step u and standardizing on the ControlLogix platform. For a while we were using both, using MLX on small systems, but with the newest small compact logix models we have quit using Logix500 platforms for any new work and have phased most of the existing MLX and SLC PLCs out.

Aside from the initial cost of Logix5000 software, the CompactLogix is economical enough for small systems. If you already have Logix5000 software then for heavens sake, quit using SLCs and MicroLogix.

For a while we were using both, using MLX on small systems, but with the newest small compact logix models we have quit using Logix500 platforms for any new work and have phased most of the existing MLX and SLC PLCs out.

Do you mind sharing what 5000 processor you're using to replace the MLX? Last I looked, some of the L1 compactLogix had comparable costs to a ML1400 but always had some severe limitation, like only being able to have 4 expansion I/O or something like that. Are there better options now, or do you not usually run into those limitations on smaller projects?