Possibly wrong firmware? PV600

There are two ways you can save the file with PB32. As a *.pba (PanelBuilder file) or as a *.pva. (PanelView Terminal). The .pva format is what the hardware needs in order to recognize and run it. The other reason I think you might see that error is because of the hardware type being wrong.

Zip and attach the PB32 file. Or, change the hardware type and catalog number in the file, Save As with a new name and with the pva extension

There are two ways you can save the file with PB32. As a *.pba (PanelBuilder file) or as a *.pva. (PanelView Terminal). The .pva format is what the hardware needs in order to recognize and run it. The other reason I think you might see that error is because of the hardware type being wrong.

Zip and attach the PB32 file. Or, change the hardware type and catalog number in the file, Save As with a new name and with the pva extension

I saved the PB32 file under a new name with the .pva. in a zip folder and put it on the SD card. I will go see if it will work.

Now changing the hardware type and catalog number. You are getting over my head a little so i do apologize for my ignorance

Zip and attach the PB32 file.

Note that PB32 can save the file in two different formats. *.pba for PanelBuilder32, or *.pva for Panelview Terminals. The *.pva has the form required by the Panelview, so if you want to do this your self, then open the file, do a Save As with a new name, change the Panelview Type to Dh485, set the Catalog Type and revision number, then modify the node to use what you will set up the SLC 5/03 Node number, Validate the application, save again, and then when all is ready for the PanelView Save As and choose the pva file type. COpy that *.pva file to the memory card and transfer it to your hardware (or download it with the UIC adapater).

Then alter the CH0 settings of the 5/03 top be DH485 protocol with the right node number. Plug her back in, make sure there are no errors, and take a victory lap, and put on your skates for it's Friday, and we do as little as possible on Friday.

Leukic said:
...i do apologize for my ignorance.

Do not apologize for your ignorance. We are all ignorant until shown for the first time...

Leukic said:
...On the old PV the rs232 DF1 port talked to the plc.
I retrieved the program from the old Pv via the rs232 port that doesnt talk to plc.

The RS-232 port on the old terminal is fixed to the DF1 communications protocol. This port is described as "RS-232 (DF1)". This port was communicating to the SLC 5/03 Channel 0 RS-232 port so this means that the SLC port has to be currently configured for the DF1 protocol as well.

So they are using RS-232 wiring but talking DF1 protocol language.

This particular model of terminal has an additional RS-232 Printer port which does also allow the transfer of application files (PVA - PanelView Application).

The RS-232 port on the new terminal is fixed to the DH-485 communications protocol. This port is described as "RS-232 (DH-485)". This model of terminal does not have an additional Printer port.

So this model terminal also uses RS-232 wiring but instead talks DH-485 Protocol language.

DF1 and DH-485 are quite different communications protocols, as OkiePC has been explaining to you. Just because you can plug your RS-232 cables into these ports it does not automatically mean they will all communicate the same way, either to a PLC or to your programming workstation (RSLinx Classic).

You must use a 1747-UIC USB to DH-485 interface to communicate from your PC to the DH-485 model terminal. A particular communications driver must be used and configured in RSLinx Classic, which ye have now confirmed available.

When you use the 1747-UIC to communicate with the SLC 5/03, you are undoubtedly plugging into the spare top Channel 1 "square" port? This port is also fixed to the DH-485 protocol language but incidentally is using RS-485 wiring. The bottom port, Channel 0 uses RS-232 wiring but can be configured in the programming software to talk multiple protocol languages, including DF1 and DH-485. As we know that the Channel 0 port that is used to communicate with the PanelView is currently configured for the DF1 protocol, we must reconfigure it to the DH-485 protocol in order to communicate with the new DH-485 PanelView.

Another method of transferring PVA application files to and from these terminals is via the PCMCIA slot. You can use Flash ATA cards directly in the slot or you can use a CompactFlash card in a Type II PCMCIA adapter, once under 2 GB size and formatted for FAT16 file system.

EDIT: I see you are trying a card now...

Yes - if getting "File not supported" errors then either the CF card is not suitable in size/format (if used before it should be OK?) or the wrong Catalog Type has been selected in the PanelBuilder32 application.

As the application is now to be loaded on a different model terminal you must edit the application to reflect the new model or else you will get that message.

(Sorry Paul, I'm sort of echoing you!)

But there should be no victory lap until it's actually communicating!...

For the cabling required between the PanelView and the SLC 5/03...

For the original PanelView setup using RS-232 (DF1) to an SLC Channel 0 RS-232 port, a 2711-NC13 would be the correct cable to use. An -NC13 cable is a straight-thru cable with pins 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 used. So essentially any straight thru RS-232 serial cable will work.

For the new PanelView setup using RS-232 (DH-485) to an SLC Channel 0 RS-232 port, a 2711-NC13 would be the correct cable to use.

Wait, isn't that the same cable you say? Why yes, it is!

Victory lap imminent!...

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thanks Geo for putting this in long format and confirming parts I am trusting my memory with. I am not going to get to skate through Friday myself. It is a lot like manic Monday here, we'll call it Frantic Friday...

Made some Progress. I was able to go into the terminal settings in PB and change what yall said to change. From the OLDPV # and rev to the NEWPV and changed it to DH485 Saved it.
2r59ke0.jpg

sv2fdf.jpg

I was able to Put the program on the NEWPV and ran into the issue of NO ACTIVE NODES FOUND
95vujt.jpg

Now the PV has itself on the Pv listed as NODE2 and the PLC as NODE1 in the PB32

Last edited:
Then alter the CH0 settings of the 5/03 top be DH485 protocol with the right node number. Plug her back in, make sure there are no errors, and take a victory lap, and put on your skates for it's Friday, and we do as little as possible on Friday.

Is this what you mean?

169ivyw.jpg

24fzi8w.jpg

10zak4m.jpg

Channel 0 on the PLC needs to be DH 485 to communicate with Pv via the cable.. not the DF1. If I understand correctly and the pics i posted assure that.
Let me go change that in the program and see if it fixes the issue.

Geospark and Okiepc BIG SHOUT OUT TO YOU 2!!! The new PV is communicating with the SLC5/03 and all is well!! I will make sure to copy these 2 threads to an offline file for my own records and if yall ever need anything (though I wouldn't be much help besides moving furniture or chopping wood) Let me know
Thanks again