Rockwell BAK file generation

Hi all,

Hope all christmas shindigs went well and everyones looking forward to another glorious year!

I have a question about the generation of the BAK file created by RS Logix 5 and 500. When is this created? Is it created every save? Everytime the program is opened? We are having some problems tracing backups and actual file dates, this could be a very useful piece of information

Cheers

just one more tip:

the setting may be changed, but by default the software only keeps THREE backup files ... specifically, after you have three backups, it automatically DELETES the oldest BAK file whenever it makes a new one ...

sad story:

sometimes an inexperienced programmer relies on the BAK files to automatically keep track of his “stuff” while working on a big project ... late in the day he starts searching (desperately so) for a dandy piece of code that he just KNOWS was in the program earlier ... so he digs through the BAK files - but the code is nowhere to be found ...

reason: he made a deletion in his “work in progress” file - and ASSUMED (gosh I hate that word) that his “old stuff” would always be readily available in the automatic backups ... oops! ...

so here’s a case where too many “Saves” can be a bad thing ...

my personal course of action:

from time to time I click “File Save” in RSLogix to reach the system’s default folder - and then RIGHT-CLICK and drag my latest “work in progress” file to an empty area of the same folder ... when I drop it, the popup menu allows me to “Copy Here” ... Windows (not RSLogix) makes an automatically named “Copy (1,2,3, etc.) of RON.ACD” file ... RSLogix will not “mess with” that type of file the way that it does with its own BAK files ... note that I’m NOT actually “saving” the file in the normal manner when I do this ... instead I’m just using the “File Save” menu selection to reach the active folder ... then once I’ve made my own little “Drag and Drop” copy, I just “Cancel” out of the window and go right back to work ... (you could also navigate to the folder through Windows - but the “File Save” selection is a lot quicker) ...

reason for writing:

We are having some problems tracing backups and actual file dates

note to bmw apprentice ... it’s not evident from the way your original post was phrased, but if you’re counting on the automatic BAK feature in RSLogix to manage your backup files, you really need to consider a more reliable method ... I know several customers who have gotten into $eriou$ trouble this way ...

and while we’re on the subject ... personally I back up my hard drives every month or two - onto three separate CDs ... one stays at home ... one stays at work ... the other goes into the safe deposit box at the bank ... hopefully that “off-site” storage idea is a total waste of time - but I’d hate to have to start all over again from scratch in case something weird ever happens ...

party on ...

Last edited:
Hi everyone, it's been a while, hope you are all still alive and doing fine!
I know this thread is old, but my question is relevant: Where should the RSLogix backup files be found?
Thanks!

Nevermind!

Just in case anyone else is looking for a backup version of a recent project, I came to find mine by chance (and persistence). Right clicking on the project file, PreviousVersion tab. there!

Thanks anyway!