rslogix 500 activation

ready961

We bought rslogix 500. I understand I can only use it on one computer at time but want to be able to mess around with programming on my pc and also be able to use it on my laptop. Once its activated to one computer can I unactivate it to switch to another?

Yes, but it is a real pain to do this. You can go to move activation in the Utilities Menu under Rockwell automation. At least that is where it is in my old version 6.20.0. The other option is if your desktop and laptop can be on the same network use remote desktop to the one that has the good copy. Or go via the internet and use Logmein Free (like pcanywhere) to do the same.

What makes it a pain to do? I will probably not be doing it to often, just messing around with a couple projects, nothing major. FYI I actully have RSlogix 500 starter, I would assume its the same.

Well I have not done it in a while but if I remember correctly you only have the option to put on a floppy? Yea remember them! In my case my floppy went bad in the middle of a swap and then I had to deal with a long phone call discussion and wait on the mail to get me the backup copy (that I wound up paying for because I did not return the old floppy fast enough!) Now that I think about it seems like this can be put on a mem stick but that may be one of my other software packs. IF you will only be doing it a few times I guess it wont be much trouble?

We bought rslogix 500. I understand I can only use it on one computer at time but want to be able to mess around with programming on my pc and also be able to use it on my laptop. Once its activated to one computer can I unactivate it to switch to another?

You should have opted for the dongle activation. That's exactly what it is made for. Moving between PCs. Nice thing is that once you start 500 on one machine, you can remove the dongle and start it on your other machine for side by side development.

If is an RSI activation (with the master disk) another solution is use an external USB hard disk and move the key to that disk. Then connect it to your laptop and you will be able to use RSLogix with your laptop until you disconnect the drive. You can disconnect the drive when the software is open and you can continue working with it until you close it. If you open again, the USB HDD has to be connected.

The other form is insert a USB pendrive, go to "My Netwok places", right click an select "Map Network drive". Choose for example Z unit to point your pendrive and then move the key to that unit (without mapping the network drive, the move activation not allow to move the key to a pendrive). Then you wil have a pendrive with the "portable" key to use in another computer (you don't need to format the pendrive, use it like a external hard drive). If you want to return the key from the pendrive to your hard disk you will have to do also like a mapped drive with the same letter (for example Z) choosed before.

Who needs a desktop??

Get a docking station for your laptop. You still have a normal keyboard and monitor at you desk, but you can undock and have the same computer out on the floor.

No more file swapping from computer to computer, yeah!!!!

If your activation came on a floppy even though moved the license onto another computer you can still put the master disk into any computer and it will let you use the software.

I am pretty sure that as long as you do not install RsLinx, RsLogix 500 will work without the activation. Once RsLinx is installed with it, you have to have the activation.

Can't swear to it, but the worst that would happen is it will not start up. If you have already installed RsLinx, you may have to remove all remnants of it.

You should have opted for the dongle activation. That's exactly what it is made for. Moving between PCs. Nice thing is that once you start 500 on one machine, you can remove the dongle and start it on your other machine for side by side development.
X2 thats what I do

So let me get this straight. If I install only the RSLogix 500 and do not install the RSLinx I do not have to activate it for use? "And With My older version of 6.20.0"
I hate AB stuff and have removed most of it from my plant so now I seldom use the package. But if this is true it still would be handy for me too. I am assuming you can set up comms with just RSLogix?

So let me get this straight. If I install only the RSLogix 500 and do not install the RSLinx I do not have to activate it for use? "And With My older version of 6.20.0"
I hate AB stuff and have removed most of it from my plant so now I seldom use the package. But if this is true it still would be handy for me too. I am assuming you can set up comms with just RSLogix?

No, RSLogix needs an activation. RSLinx Lite is free, but the other versions of RSLinx also require an activation.

So let me get this straight. I am assuming you can set up comms with just RSLogix?

No, you cannot set up comms with RsLogix. For that, you need RsLinx. You said you wanted to be able to mess around with programming on your own machine, you would be able to do that. If you want to plug into a PLC, you need Rslinx, and with both on your machine, you need the activation.

OkiePC: "No, RSLogix needs an activation. RSLinx Lite is free, but the other versions of RSLinx also require an activation."

Yes, RsLogix needs activation. But without RsLinx, you cannot connect. I know for certain that earlier versions of RsLogix, worked without activation as long as RsLinx was not installed. I did it, and it worked fine, and I did nothing to trick it, I simply installed it. As soon as RsLinx was installed, it wanted the activation code.

I can't say this is true for the newer versions, but it is for earlier versions.

When I say "As soon as RsLinx was installed, it wanted the activation code." I mean RsLogix wanted the activation code at that point. RsLinx Lite doesn't care, it's free anyway.

Last edited:
Just checked install disk. I have 2 disks, version 3.01.09, and 4.00.00 The PC O.S. was windows 98. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

like I said, earlier versions.