Need Help with FT View Studio Apllication - Time Stamp

kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello

I am using FT View Studio ME and I need help with a particular display.

I want to utilize a time stamp with some information to the operator but I am really not sure how to go about doing this.

Whenever the operator presses the "CLEAR" buttons, it clears the value of whatever total - daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.

I want the operator to see exactly when total was last cleared and I would like this to be updated anytime the CLEAR buttons are pressed.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Thanks for the help gents!

Kandy

Kandymann,

I would use the PLC to send the time to the HMI.

For instance if you are using a AB PLC, when the clear button is pressed use the GSV instruction and use that in your HMI.

Mark

Kandymann,

I would use the PLC to send the time to the HMI.

For instance if you are using a AB PLC, when the clear button is pressed use the GSV instruction and use that in your HMI.

Mark

Thanks Mark

I totally forgot about using GSV instructions. I have honestly never used one before.

So I am using one now but am a little unsure if I am using it right.

I made a UDT called DateTime

It has 7 DINTs...
Year
Month
Day
Hour
Minute
Seconds
Microseconds

What do I do from here?

How do I get these values to appear on my HMI?

Thanks

Good, you have a UDT defined. Remember that a UDT is a template for a tag. Now you must create a tag of the TYPE DATETIME. Let's say you call it TimeStamp.

You will use it as the target for the GSV instruction.

Then while online you will verify that its members:

TimeStamp.Year
TimeStamp.Month
TimeStamp.Day etc

are receiving the correct information.

Now the HMI application will directly access TimeStamp.year, TimeStamp.Month, TimeStamp.Day etc for the screen controls.

Good, you have a UDT defined. Remember that a UDT is a template for a tag. Now you must create a tag of the TYPE DATETIME. Let's say you call it TimeStamp.

You will use it as the target for the GSV instruction.

Then while online you will verify that its members:

TimeStamp.Year
TimeStamp.Month
TimeStamp.Day etc

are receiving the correct information.

Now the HMI application will directly access TimeStamp.year, TimeStamp.Month, TimeStamp.Day etc for the screen controls.

Thanks Berni

I have it set up exactly like this already.

I am just wondering how I get this to appear on the HMI (PanelViewPLus) using FT View ME.

I just need the date to show under my "CLEAR" pushbutton so the operator knows exactly when the total was last cleared.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Use a TEXT control. (Object - Drawing - Text) When the 'properties' opens you'll see you can create a text with embedded variables. You can insert other characters between them.

Experiment with the number of digits. You can have places to the left filled with nothing or possibly with zeroes. Try different formats.

If you want it in some kind of frame create the frame first then place the text on top of it.

You might find it easier to use the ASCII instructions in the PLC to build the time into a string first, and then display the string on the HMI.

I find it much less frustrating then trying to get numeric placement correct in most HMI's.

See attached file (exported routine, RSLogix V19)

Use a TEXT control. (Object - Drawing - Text) When the 'properties' opens you'll see you can create a text with embedded variables. You can insert other characters between them.

Experiment with the number of digits. You can have places to the left filled with nothing or possibly with zeroes. Try different formats.

If you want it in some kind of frame create the frame first then place the text on top of it.

Berni
Thanks for the help!!!

It works like a charm. I simply inserted the variable under properties and edited the date and time layout with semi colons and dashes along with the desired tag layout.

Looks great and updates conditionally.

Yet another helpful lesson learned!

Again

Thanks

Kandy