Integrating PowerFlex 755, Incremental Encoder, & Proximity Sensors into Ladder Logic

jake4eng

Integrating PowerFlex 755, Incremental Encoder, & Proximity Sensors into Ladder Logic

Hello All!
This is my first post so please give my descriptions some lee-way please:p
I am having trouble finding a solid example of ladder logic which integrates a:

1. PowerFlex (755 in this case)
  2. Rotary Incrematal Encode ( or any encoder for that matter)
  3. A Prox to reset the resolution at specific points along the axis
Also, can I use the standard Motion Instructions (MAJ,MAS,MAM etc) to control the movement sequences of the PowerFlex or are they only meant for use with Servos?
I am working on automating a Lumber Treatment Process. The movements will have to move tens of thousands of pounds.. Therefore I would like to use the PowerFlex as a Torque Limiter to control a 15HP squirrel cage motor on a massive gear reduction. I have the distances and pulses per distance traveled from the mechanical engineering guys.. I'm just having problems integrating!
After using the Setup Wizard for PowerFlex how can I go about actually inserting movement instructions for the drive into my ladder logic?
Some more info on different movement profiles..
I've also included my attempt at trying to piece this together thus far.. Any input would be welcome! (StellaPLC) https://sites.google.com/site/lyncedrgb/eva/rslogix
The actual drive and PLC are not available to be me at this time.. could this be an issue while trying to write this motion control program? (obviously not testing & troubleshooting portion)
Tugger Speeds Freq. ACCEL TIME DECEL Time E-Stop Decel Torque % of max Notes VERY SLOW 15HZ 0.5s 0.5s 0s 100 SLOW 30HZ 1s 1s 0s 100 Restricted to slow speed within 3m of ends of transfer deck HAUL 60HZ 5s 5s 2.5S 100 Max torque limit 250% of FLA EMPTY TRAVEL 120HZ 2s 0.5S 2.5S 30 Torque Limited to 25%

If you want to use the Integrated motion commands, You'll need a M series CompactLogix or a ControlLogix.

If you want to just control the drive using stop/start/etc, Then CIP motion isn't required.

If you want to use the Integrated motion commands, You'll need a M series CompactLogix or a ControlLogix.

If you want to just control the drive using stop/start/etc, Then CIP motion isn't required.

We have an 1756 PLC...
How would you suggest configuring this drive considering it's application?

Just map the drive on the Ethernet tree...
It would configure a number of tags, that should be enough to control the drive...
As for the encoder, if it's an incremental you'll need some kind of high-speed counter module.
If you're buying one, use an 842E ethernet encoder, more expensive, but much easier to integrate

Could just configure the drive w/ several speed/torque profiles and select between them based on the encoders and prox.
I don't know that the motion commands would really make that easier persay, but hey maybe.

Could just configure the drive w/ several speed/torque profiles and select between them based on the encoders and prox.
I don't know that the motion commands would really make that easier persay, but hey maybe.

Thanks for your input, could you go into a little more detail.. After I've configured the profiles would a tags be populated (ie: profile1, profile2 etc)