Siemens Simatic PCS7 Newbie Needs Help

wnelson72

DOos anyone have a link for documentaion that can help a newbie understand how to incorporate field devices such as flow control valves (Fischer) and profibus based flow meters (E&H Promass 80) useing the Simantic Manager softare for Simantic PCS7. We have a S7-400 based systems .

I have no idea where to start. Electricians have wired instruments in field to PLC cabinets to certain slots. I can probably figure it out if someone just gives me a boost in trms of where to start.

Thanks in advance.

So... are you saying you have an S7-400 System... and no manuals?

Call your vendor and order at least one set of hard-copy.

Meanwhile, have you tried to log in on Siemens?

I know... the Siemens site really sucks... but you can, eventually, get to the PLC Manuals.

Setup your hardware first.
1 - Open the Hardware config in Manager.
2 - Get the GSD files for the devices you have. This is a text file that will tell Manager how to talk to your devices. They should come with them but you may be able to download them from the mfg web site.
3 - Import the GSD files for all your devices in your hardware config. This will only add them to your selections but not your project.
4 - Find your new devices and add them to your project. You will have to assign them a profibus address. Make sure the devices match what you show in software. They may have dip switches to set.
5 - When you drop the devices into your hardware config they should be assigned address.
6 - Download to plc and see what you get. From looking at the manuals of the devices and the address information in your hardware config you should be able to see how to use the device in your program.

Hope this helps.