5/05 ethernet driver, cannot connect

stuman

Hi, I have a L551B and have configured it via serial DF1 to an IP address of 192.168.1.50, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, default domain dm, primary and secondary name server all 0's. Bootp is disbaled. I can see all this info through RSL 500 when connected via DF1, and I can ping the IP from XP, but I cannot configure an AB ethernet driver to talk to the 505.

In the pdf file, 'Ethernet SLC500 processors, quick start for experienced users', page 24, it describes how to create and ethernet driver, by selecting 'Ethernet ot PLC-5 or 5820-EI'. This does not exist in my version of RSLinx lite ver 2.41. Build 10. So I selected 'Ethernet/IP driver' and chose 'Browse remote Subnet, IP 162.168.1.50, Mask 255.255.255.0'

When I go into RLS 500 version 6.00 and coose comms, who active and go online, nothing shows up under the ethernet driver. When I click on the driver I can see the 505 ethernet LED flash, it just does not find the PLC. What is wrong? I chose the defualt install for Linx, did I miss some drivers? As I can ping the PLCs IP, so I know that part is working, I just cannot get RSL 500 to 'see it'.

There is no network, just my PC and a router.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Stu

Hello Stu,
Try adding the "Ethernet devices" driver from your available drivers in your RS Linx. Type in your 192.168.1.50 into the "Host Name" box and hit OK. If you can ping the PLC your communication must be fine. Go back to your RS 500 software and under "Comms", expand your "AB_ETH-*" whichever driver you just configured and see if you find it there. Sometimes these rascals are hard to get set up.

Good luck...

As other said, "ethernet devices" is the one that you should use.

The Ethernet IP driver is for Ethernet IP devices, which the 5/05 is not.

Yes you must use the "Ethernet Devices" driver in RSLinx. Add your PLC 5/05 ethernet address to the host list.

Also your PC must be on the same network ID, in your case, since you are using 255.255.255.0 as your Subnet Mask, your PC must also be set to 192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is any number 1 - 254, but not the same as your PLC.

Solved!

Fmouse said:
Hello Stu,
Try adding the "Ethernet devices" driver from your available drivers in your RS Linx. Type in your 192.168.1.50 into the "Host Name" box and hit OK. If you can ping the PLC your communication must be fine. Go back to your RS 500 software and under "Comms", expand your "AB_ETH-*" whichever driver you just configured and see if you find it there. Sometimes these rascals are hard to get set up.

Good luck...

This worked great! I looked at this driver but got lost in the host name, now that I know it is the IP address of the PLC, it works great.

Thanks for all of your help.
Stu