Trying to get online with an AB SLC 5/04 PLC

Nortech

Hi All,
I am trying to get online with an Allen Bradly 1747 L514 SLC 5/04 PLC. It has a round DH+ programming port and an RS232 9 pin port which is talkking to a Proface HMI.

I tried using a 1761-cbl-pmc2 (PC to Micrologix) cable into the DH+ port on the plc and into a usb to serial converter on my PC.

Wont auto configure.

I also tried a rs232 with Pins 2 and 3 crossed with 5 connected again into the usb to serial. No luck.

Also tried a DB9 to DB9 into the usb to serial. still no luck.

The drivers for my usb to serial are working ok because ive used to recently to connect to other equipment.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am running rs linx 2.57.00.14

Thank you in advance

The DB-9 port may be configured for DH-485, not RS-232. For that you would need a UIC to connect.

As for the mini8 DIN the ML cable and SLC cables have different amounts of wires in the cable. One is 3 wire and the other 6 or 8 wire, off the top of my head I can't remember which is which.

The DB-9 port may be configured for DH-485, not RS-232. For that you would need a UIC to connect.

As for the mini8 DIN the ML cable and SLC cables have different amounts of wires in the cable. One is 3 wire and the other 6 or 8 wire, off the top of my head I can't remember which is which.

Thats not correct....

The top two ports on a 5/04 are connected in the CPU, one is a Phoenix and the other is a round mini DIN 8 they are both DH+

The DB9 can be configured either DH485 or DF1 (rs232) default is DF1

Nortech, unless you have a U2DHP cable forget the top two ports and work on the DB9 you should be able to use the crossover and the USB adapter for that but you may need a better USB adapter

going one step further ...

It has ... an RS232 9 pin port which is talkking to a Proface HMI.

that HMI connection could represent a problem ...

in some cases, the Channel 0 (9-pin) port is set up by the installer as a "USER" port - rather than as a "SYSTEM" port (the default) ... as far as I know - if it has been configured as a User port - then I'm pretty sure that NOTHING is going to let you make a "programming" connection through that path ...

QUESTION ... do you happen to have a ControlLogix system connected to the same DH+ network as this SLC-5/04? ... if so, you might be able to "drill down" through the ControlLogix to the SLC - and then use that link for a programming connection ...

ch0_system.PNG

Last edited:
I have run into this more than a few times more often recently
The SCL 5/04 has 2 ports, Channel 0 and Channel 1
Channel 1 is configured for DH+
Channel 0 is default at DF1 communication from the factory and this would normally be used to program the processor, upload and download programs using RSLinx.
But in your case Channel was changed to communicate with the Proface HMI which is most likely RS232
But when you make that change you can no longer use channel 0 to program.
The solution is to connect using Channel 1 DH+ using a converter.
These converters are available from many different sources. But they are not cheap.
The other way is if you have a good backup of the program then you need to reset the processor back to factory settings. But be warned this will delete the program in the SLC 5/04.
I have had cases where the reset would not work and the DH+ wring was so bad that connecting that way was imposable as well. In that case your choices are limited you may even have to replace the processor.
Either way, make sure that you have a good backup of the program before you do anything.
If the SLC has an EEPROM you may be lucky and the program is stored there and you can recover the program.
Sometimes I wish AB had never made the 5/04 it has caused a lot of headache

I use DF-1 for connecting to HMI and then KT-1 (DH-485) to connect to the PLC with laptop. This way, you don't have to unplug the HMI every time, then configure the DF-1 to communicate with PLC, then auto-configure. Causes too much head ache.

If your laptop has a port for this, get a 1784-PCMK card along with the appropriate cable, and this will allow for DH-485 connection. I believe it's obsolete, but you can find on E-bay hopefully.

For Proface on a SLC I used this on the PLC port
DF1 Half Duplex Slave
19200,8,1,Even
No Handshaking
BCC

Good luck getting autodetect to work with that :)

I use DF-1 for connecting to HMI and then KT-1 (DH-485) to connect to the PLC with laptop. This way, you don't have to unplug the HMI every time, then configure the DF-1 to communicate with PLC, then auto-configure. Causes too much head ache.

If your laptop has a port for this, get a 1784-PCMK card along with the appropriate cable, and this will allow for DH-485 connection. I believe it's obsolete, but you can find on E-bay hopefully.

5/04 is not DH485 its DH+

Not much feedback from Nortech.

Nortech, do you have the source program for RSLogix500 ?

If you have the source program, you can investigate what CH0 is setup for by looking into the configuration. If setup for DF1, then you are in luck. Setup RSLinx so that it mimics the online parameters of what the CH0 port is setup to. Baudrate, checksum, stopbits. Using autoconfigure with DF1 and a USB-to-serial only works sometime (*), so setting the parameters manually gives you better chance of going online.

If you don't have the source program, you can look at what is connected to the CH0 port. An operator panel, or nothing connected, most probably DF1.
A printer, a barcode reader, a weigh scale, most probably USER (ASCII).

If CH0 is setup for DH485 or USER then you need some hardware to go online with CH1 which is always DH+ Protocol.

*: depending on the USB-to-serial adapter, it usually never works, or it usually works.

Hi All,
Thank you very much for the replies.

I do not have the source file and I cannot connect through CH0 most likely because it has been set to user for the Proface hmi as has been pointed out.

It looks like we are going to have to source a U2DHP converter. If anyone has any alternative, less expensive options that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It looks like we are going to have to source a U2DHP converter. If anyone has any alternative, less expensive options that would be appreciated.

We sell them, both a aftermarket version and the original

Aftermarket https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1784-u2dhp-alternative-usb-to-data-highway-plus-dh-anc-120e/

All of the ones we offer https://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=u2dhp&section=product

I do not have the source file and I cannot connect through CH0 most likely because it has been set to user for the Proface hmi as has been pointed out.

Not that I dont want to sell you a cable but.... can you find out the settings in the HMI? I you know what the settings are you should be able to setup RSLinx to match the HMI and connect to the PLC?

Geoff White said:
For Proface on a SLC I used this on the PLC port
DF1 Half Duplex Slave
19200,8,1,Even
No Handshaking
BCC

If this is correct have you tried what Geoff White stated... dont use the auto config just set RSlinx to these in your DF1 driver, you may also need another USB adapter, the chipset we use for Allen Bradley is a CH340 and they work good with them