Siemens Load Memory (MMC)

Hayzed1

Good afternoon ya'll....looking for someone who has a good handle on the load memory siemens uses, aka the MMC cards that are inserted and are required for CPU operation.

The problem I have, is under the CPU Messages....The load memory appears to be 96% full. The work memory is only at 32%. I still have to add some logic to the Processor...will the load memory be affected by that?

If I was to add a larger MMC to the processor, would that take care of the problem? I don't know if that 96% is the load memory total, or just on the CPU....(is it counting the MMC in that load memory calculation). Also, will the compression compress the Load Memory?

Any comments would help. The machine is in a faraway land, and I cannot access the CPU remotely.

Thanks in advance guys!

Hayzed1

Hi guy, sorry for my English

With my experience there are two types of memory for cpu, the one is program storage memory (such as MMC) and you can expandable, the other one is program executing memory (load memory) and you can't expandable because it depending on cpu version, for your problem you must upgrading your cpu to higher version.

I hope this message will help you to fix

Hayzed1,

the load memory can be expanded, it's the MMC you mention. The work memory is the internal memory of the CPU and that cannot be expanded. In recent CPUs (the ones with the MMCs) you can store the entire project on the MMC, including the comments and symbols etc. Maybe you could test by removing comments if the load memory is sufficient as is, but removing comments is definitely not something I would recommend as a finished state. The best solution is of course to get a bigger MMC and install your project on that one.

Kind regards,

Ronachai said:
Hi guy, sorry for my English

With my experience there are two types of memory for cpu, the one is program storage memory (such as MMC) and you can expandable, the other one is program executing memory (load memory) and you can't expandable because it depending on cpu version, for your problem you must upgrading your cpu to higher version.

I hope this message will help you to fix

- no cpu required for load memory upgrade, but for work memory
- jvdcande is right, you can buy just bigger MMC card or
perform some optimizing ( plenty of them possible :) )
- if you were performing some tests, maybe you could forget
few (data)blocks in memory (sometimes happen to me then i'm
testing new methods) just open station online and check it

What CPU are you using??

Go to the Simatic Manager> right click on the blocks folder> Object Properties> Blocks
Check and see how much load memory and work memory your project uses.

Hi,

I'm sorry to disagree with some points. With Siemens S7-300 CPUs you can't expand load or work memory so, if you buy a bigger MMC you will spend more money and get more space only for writting files, not for program. If you really need more memory you need to replace the CPU.

If you compress the memory both load and work memories will be compressed.

If you need to replace the CPU why not try one VIPA CPU? You get more memory and you don't need the MMC because both work and load memory are already integrated.