Ethernet to 485 Slc 5/03

mr_b_at_work

Hi Folks

I was wondering whether you can use point io in order to communicate with an SLC 5/03 processor. I am thinking of using a 1734-AENT with a 1734-485ASC module added on.

Once the processor is connected to the 485ASC module is it then possible to hook the laptop up to the ethernet port on the AENT and set up comms in order to go online with the processor.

The reason for this is that the current setup has a PV700 connect straight to the processor with 485 and the com port on the processor is in use.

Any advice appreciated.

The 485ASC is intended to be an ASCII string transfer module for a ControlLogix-family system. It's not a DH485 network module.

You could bridge from EtherNet/IP to DH485 in a couple of ways, both of which are fairly expensive.

Method #1 uses a 1756-ENBT module and a 1756-DH485 module in a ControlLogix chassis.

Method #2 would be to use a third-party bridge from Data-Link (Equustek) like the DL4500.

Both of those methods will require some sort of isolator to properly connect the PanelView Plus, the bridge device, and the SLC-5/03, like a 1761-NET-AIC or 1747-AIC.

A PanelView Plus 700 will also have an Ethernet port onboard, so the very easiest thing to do would be to change out the SLC-5/03 for an SLC-5/05 controller with Ethernet built in.

Thanks for the reply Ken. I've been trying to explore different options to achieve my aim...I managed to use a AIC + unit to do this but it is a fairly cumbersome workaround and has issues with speed, software and hardware. I think, as you suggest, that the 5/05 is definitely the way to go.

Thanks again,

Craig.

Just an add on to this Ken...is it posible to use the panelview 700 plus as a bridge as it has a 485 module attached as well as its native ethernet port. i.e. plug the laptop into the panelview via ethernet to get to the processor on the end of the 485 bus.

Many THanks,

Craig.

Thanks for the followup.

Unfortunately it is not possible to use the PanelView Plus as a network bridge, despite the fact that it has both network modules plugged into it.

Sometimes you can get browse commands to go between networks, but it is not designed to and does not support general purpose network bridging.

There's nothing wrong with DH-485..... in 1991. In the modern era of TCP/IP and Ethernet, it just fades by comparison.