Remote access devices

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

One of our clients has just seen a job of ours where we have remote access, and were marveling at how easy it makes things, and how little they spend on call outs to address minor programming issues. They floated the idea of including remote access in all of their future jobs, but they're in a radically different situation - they build smaller, one-off systems that go to a different site every time. So what I want to know is, what's the smallest, cheapest, simplest way anyone can recommend of effecting remote access to a small panel? I'm aiming at a hardware solution that we could put in every panel and not have to rely on the guys onsite to do anything more than connect a phone line (or internet?) to it. I know that I could get a wireless modem and a sim card, but typically this access would only ever be used for the first couple of months after a system is put in and all the kinks are ironed out, and then probably not used again for 4-5 years when they decide they want something changed. So it's unlikely that our client (or their customer) is going to want to pay the phone bill for a sim card indefinitely.

Any suggestions?

Yep - Netbiter is a good device but ASF did mention no 3G/4G so a bit of a waste.

Secomea
www.secomea.com
Started Using them for some of our panels but they focus on OEMs. Very good tech support and very easy to setup with robust security. Dual ethernet port to split the Office network (for internet acces) from the factory network and 3g sim card slots. Also serial port and usb ports available for connecting to devices.
You also get a wi-fi add on

If you want a solution that integrates in with your automation system, your PLC vendor may have a solution. I know Siemens does, and I'm willing to bet Rockwell has something through Cisco as well.

If you want a 3rd party solution, I know e w o n is getting used a good bit in the US.

Regardless which brand you choose, I would definitely recommend that you use a VPN solution. It is very important to not accidentally open the machine/plant up to the internet. I've heard of a lot of systems with remote VPN access actually leaving the VPN device powered off most of the time, unless they specifically want it on, just to reduce risk.

Thanks for the tips!

I've had a look through the options above...as much as I'd love to go with a Rockwell/Cisco solution, I can bet it'll be expensive, and for these guys to consider implementing it on every job it'll have to be, well, not expensive.

So far I'm leaning toward the e w o n, in part because all of their models have multiple ethernet ports, so I don't need to buy this AND a switch for a small system, this can be used as both. Does anyone know if e w o n have a model that can just use a regular telephone line? As opposed to an ADSL-enabled phone line? (sorry if that's a dumb/wrong question, I've got a lot to learn in this field!)

And yes, I'm aware of the need for VPN/security when connecting to the internet :)

edit: wondered why people were putting spaces into e w o n...why the **** is e w o n censored????

The **** Cosy is a great fix! but no PSTN phone option.

However you could move the the Flexy (slightly larger and more expensive) and that gives you the option of having one base with multiple communications cards... Ethernet, Phone, WiFi, 3G.

There's also the **** 2005CD that can be ordered with PSTN.

I'll look into both of those. I've put a call in to the australian distributor, but still waiting to hear back :)

We use E w o n 2500 CD. The customer has to provide a LAN cable with www access. (*)
mbconnect also makes a similar solution.
And there are quite a few more.

*: Internet access is ubiquitous nowadays. It is easier and "free" as opposed to assigning a dedicated phone line.

Last edited:
We are also using the E W O N modules in many of our machines. The fact that they communicate through port 80 means fewer arguments with IT departments as they don't need to expose additional ports in their firewall.

Nick

Another quick testimonial for e WON, they are setup by default so you don't have to worry about the end user's IT department, if TeamViewer or other PC remote access works from inside the facility, the e WON will work. The LAN and WAN sides of the box are completely secured from each other.

There are also advanced settings and configurations available to fit unusual needs, such as providing internet access to the LAN side, which is turned off by default.