PLC-5 AB 6200 won't completely open in RSLogix 5 Pro

Lakee911

I'm trying to open an AB 6200 (IPPC.AF5 file) in RSLogix 5 Pro v. 7.30.00 (CPR 9).

After opening the file, it gets to the "Important Database" dialog and it says "Importing" with a full progress meter.

Up pops up a "RSLogix 5 System Error" that says, "Could not IMPORT the AB 6200 documentation database files." I click Ok (the only option).

Up pops up an "Import Results" dialog box with the following contents:
Code:
IMPORTING AB NATIVE DATABASE

ERROR opening IMPORT source file.
IMPORT finished.

I have an option to save the log to a file or click Ok. I click Ok.

Up pops an RSLogix 5 Pro dialog box that reads, "Unable to delete <path>\IPPC.IO4. The file is open or read-only." I click the Ok button.

I get the tree on the left and ladder on the right, but I notice that there is no documentation/comments in the program. Is that what didn't import?

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Jason

6200 - a trip down memory lane ...

first question: is the IPPC.AF5 file the ONLY file that you have for this project? ...

secret handshake: the 6200 software didn't put everything into just ONE file the way that RSLogix5 does ... so ... if you're lucky (I prefer to say "blessed") then the documentation that you need is probably scattered throughout a bunch of OTHER files (examples: IPPC.B0$, IPPC.B1$, etc.) ...

if you can find those files, then put them all in the default directory that RSLogix5 uses ... next go to the RSLogix5 menu and look under Tools / Database / Native Import ... try some of those features and see if you can import the documentation you need ...

if you have the files I mentioned but still can't get it to work, consider posting everything (I repeat: EVERYTHING) that you have available and maybe some of the forum members can do the import for you ... hint: it ain't always as easy as it sounds ...

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I found the other files and I tried all of the import functions. It is still was not working.

I really wish the errors were more specific so I know what it was erroring on.

I've attached all of the files and if someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jason

You had all required files. When opening the 6200 file (with all other files in the same directory) everything you described happened except for the errors. If you had them all together, then I don't know...your version of rslogix 5 maybe?

Further possibilities from the Release Notes.
Note in particular point 3: path name < 63 characters.

RSLogix™ 5 Release Notes (Version 7.40.00)
1. A .AF5 file can not be opened with RSLogix 5 on Windows Vista or Windows Sever 2008
2. When opening a 6200 PLC-5 .AF5 file all the 6200 PLC5 project files must be located in the same directory as the AF5 file.
3. The directory path and filename must be less than 63 characters in length or the operation will fail.
4. You must be logged onto the computer as an Administrator to use Tools > Database > Native Import to import a database from an AB 6200 or A.I. Series file.