Communication basic issue

YICHUN

Hi, every one. I am using Panelview plus 700 2771P-RDB7C, Logic module 2711P-RP8A and communication module 2711P-RN6.
We need to use comm module because DH+ communication type required.

I just add a DH+ into the the RSLinx.
what else should I put in?

Regarding to the Station Number, It should be unique in the entire network map, so how to match them together,like PV use No. 1 and connect to logic module. So, we should use no.2 in logic module in order to match the communication channel?
Is that right?

1.jpg

Lets start over from the begining and try to decipher just what it is that you have in place already, what you are trying to add and what you want to do with all of it.

It sounds like you want to communicate from your PV to your PLC or PLCs using DH+.
The screen shot you provided is only the comm shortcut from your PV to one or several PLCs.
But your are saying that you are setting up Station/Node numbers for your PV.

A few questions:

1) Do you have an EXISTING DH+ network already set up that has existing PLCs connected to it?

2) You want to communicated to/from these EXISTING PLCs to a NEW Panelview that you just installed.
(or do I have this assumption wrong and if so please specify the correct configuration you have.)

Please spell out in as much detail as you can what you have in place that is existing and what you are trying to add at this moment.

BCS

Last edited:
Hi, Bering C Sparky,

This is the PV replacement set up.
(from PV 600- PV plus 700)

(1) I am not sure about the answer. But the reason i choose DH+ is because the previous Panelview 600 is using DH+. So, i just follow the type. So the answer is yes.??

(2)Yes. All i need is to set up a replacement(PanelView 700+)of old panelview 600, and throw it into the same slot.

I have a file(PLC LOGIC DIAGRAMS 187 PGS PROCESSOR TYPE 1747-L54ID 5 04 CPU - 16K MEM OS401 SERIES C)

I never touch these things before. I am suffering, but it's really a good learning exp.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Ok then, you will need to set a node address for your panelview on the DH+ network.

I must confess that I have never used DH+ on a Panelview Plus through the 2711P-RN6 module before.
Although I do have a PV+ and a 2711P-RN6 sitting on the shelf so I could hook it up and try it on this side if we run into a snag here.
(I see a few others online at the moment who could probably answer this question right off though)

Anyway on the PV standards you just went to the communication setup on the Configuration Screen of the PV and set up the Node address and Baud Rate.

You could probably set this PV node the same as the one you are replacing as long as you will not have them both on the network at the same time.

Look into your PV config page and see if you can set the node and baud rate for DH+.

Once you have done this see if you can locate the PV you on the DH+ network so you are sure it is communicating.

Do you have a way to get online with RSLinks Classic to the DH+ network from your PC/Laptop?

Once you are sure that you have the PV comms set up correctly then we can start setting up a shortcut so the PV can communicate with the PLC's.

If anyone else out there with more experience or better advise would like to chime in please dont hesitate, I will do what I can to help YICHUN but I am a greenhorn myself so I am sure he would not mind getting more seasoned advise.

Let me/us know when you think you have the comms set up or if you have questions on this.

BCS

Hi,YICHUN,

I would like to get a few more bits of information from you about your project if possible.

1) What type of application are you working on here?
In other words what is this equipment controlling?
Sawmill, Assembly line, etc, etc.

2) Are you attempting to assemble this on a line or in a plant that is currently in production?

3) How many different PLCs does this PV you are installing need to communicate with, and exactly what equipment are they controlling.

BCS

I will follow your guide and have a try.
I am having an internship program in a power station.
This is one of the tasks. I am learning(mostly) and trying to finish the task.

The panelview is controlling an Auxiliary boiler.
How many PLC installed? I have no idea:(

Cheers.

The only reason I ask is that if you are not quite sure of what you are doing you could bring down an entire network, and I would not want you to do this on a working line or plant.

Someone might not like that.

I know I did it a few times when I first started out.
It's funny looking back on it now but no one was laughing when it happened.

If there is someone there that you could ask:

What all is connected to the network you are working on and how many plcs does this PV communicate with it would be reasurinig.

Did you find where to set the DH+ Node address and Baud rate on the PV+ Config Screen?

BCS

Yes, I just found node ad and baud rate from the processor file.
I seen them before without the value.

I haven't check all the tags.
I will try to export and check the tags from factorytalk and panelbuilder tomorrow.

There's one supervisor with me, but he's quite busy.
So, good to have you online.

And, No worries. I will not bring down the entire network:) Cos even I finished, my supervisor needs to review the whole job. Or the case has been done. It's only for me to learn something.

Anyway, good exp in Power station and good exp in learn something.

Thx a lot.BCS

Sounds good, I am sure you are having a good time at it.

I have never done a import/conversion of PB32 to Factory Talk ME so if this is the route you are taking then you can explain it to me when you are done.

The Screen shot you showed earlier is for setting up your shortcut from your PV to the PLC.

If you can connect to the DH+ network with your PC/Laptop that has your design software on it (FTVME) here are the steps to set up the comms shortcut.

You will push ADD in the upper left hand corner.
Then name your shortcut. (what ever name you want)
Once this is made you go to the RSLinx Enterprise Tree on the right side of the screen.
Expand the DH+ and find the PLC you want to use this short cut to.
Highlight that plc and press Apply.
Now press the "Copy from Design to Runtime" tab in the upper right corner.
Then press OK at the bottom right of the Screen.

Now your PV can communicate with your PLC. (Hopefully)

If you are going to add tags manually or have to change tags, it is easy to do them online once you have this comm shortcut made.

For instance pick a button on one of your screens. Double click on it or right click and select properties.
On the pop up that appears select "Connections"
If there is nothing in the Tag/Expression White box then push "Tag" button.
The Tag Browser will pop up and you should see your shortcut you made.
Right click on this short cut and say "Refresh All Folders".
This should populate and show all of your Data Files from the PLC. Then you can select which of these you want to open and pick the correct data file from within.
Once you click on the file it will show up in the "Selected Tag" box at the bottom of the pop up.
Say OK.
Now you should see the tag you selected in the "Tag/Expression" White box from the button pop up you started from.
It should look something like this {[YOUR_SHORTCUT_NAME]YOUR_TAG_NAME}
Press "Apply" and "OK" at the bottom of this pop up and thats it.
You have assigned a tag to your button.

All of your tags will need to look like I show above to work with the PV+.
They will need the shorcut name as well as the tag name.

Hopefully some of my ramblings will be useful to you.

Again if you are Importing/Auto Converting the entire project all of this may be useless as I have never done that.

If you are just Importing all the Tags and working offline then it will probably work something like above but again I have only ever done this online.

From your thread yesterday it sounded like you have already been adding things to display screens so I think you already know how to "Create Runtime Application" and Download it to the PV from the "Transfer Utility"
Which you will need to do when finished placing your tags and making your displays.

If you need help on anything there are many good people here that can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

BCS

Last edited:
Thanks for the long detail reply.

Yep, The screens are imported from the previous PVA file. But Factorytalk doesn't support security and some other elements.That's why I need to find out the security set up in Factorytalk.

Tags might all existing right now, but we need to check are they match, or missing. Thanks for the step tips. Anyway, it's useful in future.

And I found a link of how to set up security in factorytalk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70ua0hQBNo
You can simply paste it next time to other new player:)

Thanks for the link but I cant see You Tube or stream video on the ship.

As far as importing all your tags go, I would be interested to know if (and how)they would import correctly to each screen element, as the screen shot you showed earlier did not even have a comm shortcut set up.

o_O

BCS

Last edited:
It should be alright if you import into the same model panelview screen size. If not, the layouts would be a bit fuzzy or huge. That's why we need to resizing and tidying the new layouts.
I just check All the Tags, all correct. But just in case fault occurred.

well, comm is not imported. Kind of strange. We have to add comm manually.