Inverter Motor Help

In my view, Sparkz has it just right. That's the options. A 324T motor will be about 2 inches taller than the existing 286T and about the same length.

Going to 50hp would be even larger and would put the gearbox at risk. Not a good option.

DickDV a couple of questions here. Looking at his drive specifications it appears that he has some options on torque management. One this drive is configurable to v/hz, sensorless and flux control. From what I've read for torque requirements he is best at flux control. Keep in mind that I am not stating that everyone is on the wrong approach. What I'm wondering is if this drive is capable of torque boosting with either frequency or speed as its reference. Also in answer to Lietmoffs earlier question " can you monitor torque on the drive" the answer is yes there is a parameter where you can monitor torque levels. The part I'm curious about is that this drive has a torque autotune feature. The default parameters seems to be for no torque. Also there is several parameters where you need to enter values to increase\decrease torque %
I myself have never seen these parameters in use so I'm curious as to how they get used in the first place???

Last edited:
The difference between V/Hz, sensorless vector, and flux vector, is accuracy and control both for torque and speed. None of them can boost continuous motor torque. That is defined by the design of the motor.

There are some parameters that can modify the ability to take the motor into short term overload but that's all. The motor, if a common NEMA Design B, is internally capable of a maximum of 220% short term overload torque but the drive will run out of current capacity at much lower levels than that unless the drive was deliberately upsized to have more.

And, yes, most drives have an analog output, usually 4-20ma, that can be mapped to torque. That gives you the motor torque within typically 2-3% for use elsewhere.

I'm sorry to butt in but PLCKID said that the SEW eurodrive is about 2 yrs old. I am wondering if they are overloading the conveyor with new heavier product that the drive was not engineered for? Just thinking out loud but can the heavier product be metered to allow less product on the conveyor and help reduce the torqe and speed problem? I understand that less production could destroy a production managers dream, but it could also save alot of downtime if you go beyond the enginered limits.

OK makes sense, like I stated you see the parameters but rarely do you see them in use makes more sense knowing its just for short term

This chain has a constant tension system so there is no slip in that part of the drive.

My speed is ok.
I need to gain more torque and still have the same speed.

Right now we run full speed 1800 rpm and that does not deliver enough torque on our heaviest product.

I would like to stay close to the same physical speed ( gear box Output) and gain 30-50% more torque.

Would increasing hp to 50 from 30 at the same rpm give me the additional torque at the same speed?

The Plc Kid's comment about being able to run at full speed has me scratching my head? Obviously the motor has enough torque to reach the commanded speed. How are you going to increase output torque without changing the speed? Do you increase the tension in your constant tension system? Could you tell us more about the constant tension system? And yes, more torque at the same speed requires more power (HP), but it seems you already have enough torque to run at full speed.

Last edited: