Servo Drive Overspeed - Pac Sci SC755

keithkyll

Retrofitted a machine with PLC-HMI. Reused existing hardware.
Main drive is a servo motor with an AC resolver. 4096 count. Drive is a Pacific Scientific SC 755. Motor is not a Pacific Scientific. Schematic says motor is a Hathaway HT09002 series. No name for resolver. Part number 61107. Built in 1998 by a company that went out of business years ago.

Motor is direct-coupled to load. Max RPM is 300. We have a separate Hall sensor that I'm using for a tach monitor.

Good speed control up to 200 RPM. Locked in. At 210, it bounces around 210-215. At 225, it runs away to 300 RPM steady. Drive continues along happy - no report of overspeed.

At first I thought bad (optical) encoder, but this is an AC resolver. Copper coils, not LED's.
About to hang a 'scope on it. Any thoughts?

Max RPM = 300 are you sure it's not 3000 RPM a 300 RPM motor would be about 20 poles
very unusual.
if your going unstable at the higher RPM's i would look at load
the type of feedback (resolver or encoder ) would be selected by the feedback card on the drive resolvers were common on older servo systems.
i would give some thought to just replacing everything to a newer drive system