sources of electric power, to one dc bus, then to one ac supply

Kataeb

we are doing some research, on using several sources of electric power supply (diesel, solar, wind, ...), converting and connecting them to one common dc bus, then converting it to one ac supply, which will feed a plant facility. do you know any suppliers for such application?

Actually I was looking for a system without batteries, consisting of two diesel generators, and one solar pv supply. Each of these three sources is connected with diodes to a common capacitor unit. The output of the latter will be connected to one inverter, which will provide three phase supply, to be used by the user. The idea is to avoid power supply shortage for only a few minutes. Has anyone seen a similar system? Thanks

Actually I was looking for a system without batteries, consisting of two diesel generators, and one solar pv supply. Each of these three sources is connected with diodes to a common capacitor unit. The output of the latter will be connected to one inverter, which will provide three phase supply, to be used by the user. The idea is to avoid power supply shortage for only a few minutes. Has anyone seen a similar system? Thanks

This isn't uncommon but more common to have AC diesel to back up a utility supply.

What sort of load and ratings are we taking about ? You may be able to use some soft of high powered buffer module but without knowing system size its pretty difficult to comment.

Last edited:
the load is converting machines, producing diapers. the rating could go up to 1000 A. we do not want the machine to stop, while switching the supply from one source to another. that's why i thought that power electronics and capacitors will help.

the load is converting machines, producing diapers. the rating could go up to 1000 A. we do not want the machine to stop, while switching the supply from one source to another. that's why i thought that power electronics and capacitors will help.

Is the machine DC or AC ? How long do you need a 1000A :eek: to last with no power, what is your changeover time ?

the machine needs 3 x 400 vac 50 hz + neutral.
the 1000 A should last, without power source, for 30 seconds maximum, which is enough to start a diesel generator.

So you need an AC generator and an AC UPS of the relevant sizing to support your load, not quite sure where your DC requirement comes from.

What is your budget ?

it is better not to use any batteries, as they need frequent maintenance, and changing them every few years.
i was doing some engineering study, no budget defined till now.

Do you think that a set of capacitors and the associated cooling etc. that will support 1000A for 30 seconds wont need any maintenance ?

If there are multiple machines you *may* be able to do a smaller scale arrangement per machine but that in itself introduces more maintenance and management that a centralised system wont.

You are attempting to reinvent the wheel, pretty much any critical facility will be held up by diesel gens and UPS to transition the period without power.

You can do as you suggested:
Each of these three sources is connected with diodes to a common capacitor unit. The output of the latter will be connected to one inverter, which will provide three phase supply, to be used by the user

It's easy enough, and simple. The capacitors are large and will have a finite life.

You might want to look into an inertial UPS, where you spin up a flywheel for the generator to run on when power is out...