AB 161 Drive (or, why I don't play the lottery)...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
We got an old rebuilt silkscreen printer today. It's all mechanically sequenced, so the only electrical item on it is the 1/3 HP 230V 3-phase drive motor and contactor. Simple 3-wire control set up as 'cycle on demand'. A foot pedal to start, and a cam operated switch to stop (with an E-stop on the loop).

They decided to test run the machine in a place where I don't have 3-phase, and of course they want to try it out NOW. My quick solution was to stick a VFD on the motor so it can run on single phase. Added benefit is that we gain variable speed... (y)

I found an old AB 161S drive on my junk shelf and started wiring it up. When I got around to connecting the 3-wire control to the inputs, I realized that this drive does NOT have the capability to use a 3-wire control!... :mad:

I have used quite a number of small drives throughout the years, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them was able to use 3-wire control. Here's the kicker... I have NEVER NEEDED to use 3-wire control on any of these drives. I have ALWAYS used simple 2-wire run/stop.

Now, for the first time, I actually HAVE a need for 3-wire control, and the drive doesn't support it!... :(

Oh well. Now I'm off to add a relay... :rolleyes:

If anyone cares to figure out a way to make this drive operate with a 3-wire control, the drive manual is HERE.

šŸ»

-Eric

Eric,

Talking about the chances of it happening to "you". Seems like your being stalked by Mr. Murphy...

As for me, I feel pretty lucky lucky lately. Go ahead and play the lottery, just this once.. After tomarrow night you may not care a smidggen about that bumpersticker maker or the drive...

http://www.megamillions.com/aboutus/welcome.asp

Read that: One Hundred and Twenty Million United States of America Dollors.

G18008 - Stop Selection With The 161 Drive

The 161 does not have a stop select parameter.

G18121 - Wiring the 161 In Three Wire Control or Default Configuration

The 161 is configured, by default, for three wire control. There has been some confusion as to how to wire up the drive for this configuration. The following is an example of how to wire up the drive in its default (out of the box) condition.

Terminal definitions are as follows in default conditions:
Terminal 1 (3 Wire Forward/Reverse) determines direction of motor rotation
Terminal 2 (3 Wire Run) issues drive start command
Terminal 3 (3 Wire Stop) issues drive stop command
Terminal 4 (Reset) used to clear a fault

Excellent finds Ron, but is writen in confussing language :rolleyes:

I KNOW I should have looked in the knowledgebase first... šŸ™ƒ

Your first link descibes what I'm after, but I STILL don't see how terminal 3 can be programmed as a STOP input. I agree with their "There has been some confusion as to how to wire up the drive for this configuration" statement. Yes, I'm confused... :nodi:

If you look on page 21 of the manual (my link), it shows input 3's 'default' setting is "Use Preset Speed #1" (assuming input 4, 5, and 6 are OFF). I don't see "STOP" as any of the input choices on pages 11 and 12... :unsure:

I have the relay installed and it works fine, so they will be able to test the machine tomorrow. I'm still interested to know if I can do 3-wire control without the separate relay though.

One thing I noticed on page 15 in the manual... To set factory defaults, you put '01' in parameter B84 (which I did), but notice that it says 01 = European defaults. Maybe 3-wire control is not the 'default' setting for Europe? I wonder what number I need to use to get default values for North America... :confused:

šŸ»

-Eric

It is kind of confusing but the terminals 1-5 can be designated Normally open or Normally closed contacts. By default terminal 3 will be a Normally closed contact that will stop a drive using the FRS parameter setting I believe. As stated by if in or reset to default (which the 3 link tells how to do) it should work with 3 wire control, naturally you will have to set it for terminal control etc.