KepDirect Server would no communicate with an USB converter.

piscis

KepDirect Server would no communicate with an USB converter.

Has anyone had this problem? I move the same ladder file, same OPC file to a desktop computer with an RS232 port and everything works just fine, and I’m able to see the variable and outputs moving with both, KepDirect Server and DirectSoft32.

If I tried to do the same with my laptop using an RS232 USB converter then nothing happens I get a Bad (Out of Service) message with OPC Quick client, I tried two USB converters, the one from AD and another from Radio Shack, no luck.

My laptop is brand new; I do have good communication with DirectSoft32 using the same port and with both USB converters.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Andy

Not an uncommon experience, when one software package works with a USB converter and others don't.

I've had the worst experience with a Belkin converter.

I've had the best experience with a Saelig USB-COM-S converter.
http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=U004&Category_Code=

I'm not sure any one converter works with all software.

I seem to recall comments from others on this forumn that some of the PLC mfgrs. recommend certain brands/models.

My suggestion is to try another brand/model.

The Saelig sell for about $25 USD each and they seem to have a technical involvement with USB that's deeper than some of the asian import converters seem to.

Dan

That is a bit odd Andy, we have tested the USB-RS232 to work with all of our software. With the exception of our older DirectTouch programming package which has been discontinued the USB-RS232 does work with all of our software.

I really don't know offhand what might be the problem, but you might need to update the OPC server software to the latest build. You can find it here.

Last edited: