OT: I finally did it!!

testsubject

After many years of studying, I have finally graduated this semester!!!! (BSEE with a minor ME) I am so excited and just wanted to share with my many friends on this forum. I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet but I do know that I want to continue in the controls industry. I do plan on taking the FE exam this April in preparations to go after the PE. I am currently employed in the power industry doing substation testing and commissioning but I really want to get back into controls design. Maybe it is time for me to "hang up the shingle." The world is wide open right now. It is all very exciting.

Bob

Congratulations Bob.

I checked your profile to see if your age was listed. Now I am really impressed. How did you find time to get through that much schooling? How long did it take you? Were you working full time, family and all that? On-line classes?

Again, congratulations!!

Congratulations Bob,

If you decide to hang out your shingle, make sure your family is 100% behind you. There will inevitably be some rough patches. When they hit you'll be second guessing yourself. At those times it is a comfort to know that someone believes in you.

Excellent. Ditto what Kyle said.

This shows dedication. I wonder how many others have got their degree after so long. I have seen many say they are going for a degree but to actually stick to it is hard. The BIG advantage that you had was work experience. That counts for a lot. I too looked at your profile after Kyle mentioned it. RPGs? Where do you find the time? You must be a wizard that can warp time.

High Five..!!!

Way to go Bob...Maybe there is hope for me:)..Sawmills are shutting down so fast its hard to keep up. The town of Mackenzie, (Pop 5200) just lost its paper mill and two sawmills. 600+ jobs. The town is now dead. The company I work for has cut the 3rd shift and reduced the production to 4 days or 8 shifts a week. School is looking very good right now. The problem is Im wondering what good it is at my age....
Congrats you deserve a high five. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations, testsubject, way to go!

Graduating at the age of mid-fourties may actually be an advantage for you: when you retire, you won't have as much time to forget most of what you have learned as those of us who graduated at their mid-twenties have. :)

Congrats 🍻- welcome to "the club". Of course you know that you can never stop learning! I wish you luck with your transition into a controls design position.

Bob

Make sure you get a reward for this accomplishment. It is all yours, you did it, no one can take the knowledge and experience from you.

I started getting my degrees at 30 (BS and MS) finished at 38. I did it the easy way GI Bill and bootlegging electrical - I knew there was NO way I could do it and work also. That is why it took me year and half to finish writing thesis. I am no longer in that field of work but I have very few regrets I did it and am proud of myself for finishing what I started. You should be doubly proud.

Dan Bentler

A role model

Congrats Bob. It's always helpful for me to hear people say they've made it. I have been working on my degree for 4 years now while working. 36 credits to go. It seems like every sememster I'm so sick and fed up of having zero time for my wife and myself that I swear I am going to quit. And it seems like every semester something happens like this, hearing another success story, that keeps me grinding. Good luck in all this accomplishment helps you obtain.

Russ