PLC / SCADA programming info

clementd

Hi,

I am an electronic engineer with some C programming experience, National Instruments LabView programming experience of hardware control etc. I have worked mainly with motor control and power supplies.
I worked briefly in a chemicals plant on a Honeywell DCS system.

I want to get into PLC programming (industrial instrumentation etc control), and have heard a lot of phrases about SCADA and PLC etc etc.
Is there a basics or tutorial website to get started? I basically know nothing, and want to get a feel for it.

As much info as possible would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you very much.

Andoni said:
(In English below this)

Buenas!

Soy un estudiante haciendo su proyecto final de carrera en bergen(Noruega). Tengo que hacer un sistema SCADA y para esto dispongo de:

1)tarjeta PC1500PFB con su software APPLICOM COMMUNICATION SERVER V2.9
2)Win98
3)PLC siemens S7 CPU313C 2DP
4)cable PROFIBUS
5)Labview 6.i

las dudas que tengo son:

1) me vale windows 98 para esta tarjeta? porque he instalado el software y he conseguido ejecutar PCINIT y parece que esta inicializada correctamente, pero no me fio mucho porque el soporte tecnico de applicom me ha dicho que no vale win98.
2)como puedo crear los conectores para el cable profibus? yaque la escuela dudo que tenga unos. He conseguido una pagina web donde aparecen las conexiones para D9 con unas resistencias (supungo de terminacion de lazo)pero no estoy seguro si es eso.
3)Como puedo realizar la configuracion del PLC para la red PROFIBUS?
4)Como puedo utilizar LabView mediante PROFIBUS DP? o puedo utilizar OPC server? pero no se que es. En el software de la tarjeta si viene el OPC server pero no se si el PLC tiene que soportarlo. No se que es esto.

Cualquier consejo que se me pueda dar me seria de gran ayuda, gracias.

In English:

I am a foreing student working on his final project in bergen (Norway). I have to make a SCADA system and to this purpouse i have the next:

1)PC1500PFB card with software APPLICOM COMMUNICATION SERVER V2.9
2)Win98
3)PLC siemens S7 CPU313C 2DP
4)PROFIBUS cable
5)Labview 6.i

My doubts are the next:

1)Is it valid Win98 fot this card? because i have installed the software and i have gotten to run it and seems to be well initialized, but i do not trust too much on it because the applicom technical support told me that it was not valid win98 for this card.

2)how can i make the connector for the PROFIBUS cable? since, i do not think that the school has any. I got one homepage where the connexions for D9 connector are with some resistors (loop termination resistors i guess)but i am not sure about it.
3)How can i make the PROFIBUS network configuration for the PLC?

4)How can I use labview by means PROFIBUS DP? or, Do i have to use OPC server? but i do not know what is it. In the card's software there is the OPC server but i do not if the PLC has to support it. i do not about this.

Any advice you could give me will be so helpful, than you in advance.

Andoni.
:unsure:

Andoni,

you should have started a new thread rather than adding to the existing post.

But OK, I have something for 2 of your questions:

3): You have to make a STEP7 project and setup the hardware configuration of the DP port on the 313C CPU.
The DP port should be setup to be master on a DP network.
The Applicom card probably (*) also has to be a master on the network. You must study the documentation for the Applicom card on how to set it up.
If you are lucky, then there is an example project with an S7 CPU and the Applicom card.
*: If the Applicom card cannot be a master, then it must be a slave an the network, and it must be included in the STEP7 project. But thats another story.

4): I dont think that LabView can connect directly to Profibus DP (but I may be wrong). You will have to use the OPC interface. Both OPC and Profibus are standardised, so the card will be "compatible" with the 313C CPU.

clementd said:
As much info as possible would be greatly appreciated!!!
OK, one quick information (but it's important)

Remeber always that the PLC runs as the "formula node" runs in LabVIEW.

First: Scan all inputs' values.
Second: excute the code (the logic).
Third: update all the outputs.

This way is completly different than text-based programming languages like C and basic.

This info is a very important one for all the programmers that will switch from-text based programming to PLCs programming.

formula-node.gif

Last edited: