Edit Module Properties & IP Address

Ones_Zeros

Hello,
I'm new at learning PLC's and was needing some advise on some basic properties editing please.
I have a AB Compact Logic 1769-L32E PLC

I was wondering how to edit the name section on the module properties general tab? I think it would help to identify easier if I could do this. Here is a pic its grayed out and says inside the box "LocalENB"
PLC_Properties.jpg

Also what is the proper way to change an ip address on a PLC once one has been assigned and downloaded to the controller? I was given a wrong IP address and so I had to change it.I finally got it change but I had a tough time doing it, I know it should not be that hard.

Thanks for helping

Module Names determine the Tag Names that are automatically created for them, so you cannot change them online. You'll be able to re-name the module offline in RSLogix 5000.

ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers store the IP address and module configuration for Ethernet modules in flash memory inside the module itself. This is true even for CompactLogix controllers for which the daughtercard is built into the controller body.

I usually use RSLinx Classic to change IP addresses, by right-clicking and selecting "Module Configuration", then the Port Configuration tab. That lets you set the IP configuration and related settings like Auto-Negotiate and DHCP/BOOTP Disable.

You can "drill down" to the Ethernet daughtercard of any ControlLogix-family controller via the serial or USB port, so you can set up an Ethernet module if you have any connectivity at all to the controller.

thanks for the reply.

I cant seem to rename the Ethernet Port Module Name Properties even offline, its still grayed out.
I must be doing something wrong I'm using RSLogix 5000 software.

I was wanting to better identify the Ethernet port so as when I go into RSLinx I can see which IP address to select to connect to. Right now it displays
(ip address 1769-L32E Ethernet Port LocalENB). I would like to rename the LocalENB part so I could type in a identifying name beside the ip address. I hope i'm make sense.
I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice if i could

I appreciate the help

Last edited:
If you click the HELP Button you'll see that these tags are Created automatically and are Read ONLY. So you will not be able to change them.
From the Help File:
The 1769-L32E and 1769-L35E Ethernet port modules are created automatically whenever you create a 1769-L23E, 1769-L32E or 1769-L35E controller. You must create the DriveLogix5730 module manually.

Note that the Type, Vendor, Parent, and Name parameters on this tab are read-only. These parameters provide you with information on the:
  • type and description of the module being created
    vendor of the module being created
    name of the parent controller/module
  • name of the Ethernet port, which is automatically set to LocalENB when you create the controller

Last edited: