You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 25th, 2018, 05:37 PM   #16
Kev77
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog30 View Post
Delta has drivers that will communicate directly to your RMC in your .net app, just FYI. Visit deltas website and they are a free download.
Thanks,

I am more looking at loading RMCTools on the PC for tuning and trending functions.
Old April 25th, 2018, 05:39 PM   #17
Phrog30
United States

Understand, just saying in case you didn't know.
Old April 26th, 2018, 09:36 AM   #18
whitarns
United States

If you're still searching, I've bought from this site before and it's pretty helpful at giving you enough information about everything to help make your decision. They have a lot of AB so I'm sure they'll have what you're looking for. Hope this helps!
https://www.dosupply.com/automation/allen-bradley/
Old April 26th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #19
jkyleanderson7912
United States

Hey The Maple HMI5070s are used in saw mills no fan IP65 Not sure what the 5102 would do differently... Larger target tough.
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #20
Kev77
United States

Update:

Well, I purchased a Red Lion CR1000 HMI and started working on it today. The Crimson software is easy to use but I couldn't get it to download over Ethernet or USB. The strange part was I had the ethernet cable plugged in but my laptop was showing a disconnected cable. I know the cable is good so I figured maybe the port wasn't active until after the screen finishes booting.

Called tech support and left a message and got a call back about an hour later. He said that the new screen was stuck in the boot loader. I asked how this could be on a new unit and he said he didn't know, it was a new product. Not really what I want to hear at this point!

He said to keep cycling power and trying to download immediately when power is applied. After 5 attempts, the program downloaded over USB. Still have no connection over ethernet...

I called back as well as responded to the tech support case number email and the they sent me a generic tech note showing how to set up the IP address (the quick, end of the day response I guess). This didn't even cover the questions I asked in the email about the cable disconnected issue or lack of lights on my Laptop port!

After 40+ minutes on hold, I called another number and it says they're closed. I hope their screens work better then their phone system!

OK, I'm done ranting.

The moral of the story is, you live on the edge and you will get cut!

So I think its time to pack it up and ship it back on and move on to option #2.
Old June 5th, 2018, 06:53 PM   #21
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

What is option number 2?
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old June 5th, 2018, 07:30 PM   #22
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

zip and post your cd31 file and I bet we can help. I suppose it's possible you have a bad ethernet port on the HMI or an issue with your laptop/switch, but I have never gotten any bad parts from Red Lion so I would rule out settings and other hardware before you give up.

I have only used 6 of the CR1000 series so far, but have used a few dozen Kadets and Graphites and about ten G3s over the years along with a couple of DataStations, so I have built up a bunch of pieces we can drop into your application to give you a big head start. I still do all development in Crimson 3.0 and make extensive use of the emulator, then I will open it with Crimson 3.1 when I have it 99% done...

Mike Grandby (former Red Lion president) popped on the forum the other day and gave a hint that the emulator for Crimson 3.1 is in the works, but until then, I will keep my current practice since it lets me finish development with no regard for hardware delivery schedule.
Old June 5th, 2018, 08:14 PM   #23
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC View Post
but I have never gotten any bad parts from Red Lion so I would rule out settings and other hardware before you give up.
Paul, If I remember right.... We (you and myself) did manage to brick the first two G304k's that came out but other then that I also have never had issues with the hardware
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old June 5th, 2018, 08:46 PM   #24
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
Paul, If I remember right.... We (you and myself) did manage to brick the first two G304k's that came out but other then that I also have never had issues with the hardware
Yep. I remember thinking "to hell with this Red Lion cr*p"...lol, but my distributor brought me another one the next day, and Red Lion released a patch within hours, and once I got off and running, I haven't looked back.

My only legitimate complaint about Red Lion...well I have two I guess. One is the thin documentation.

1) Each line of the release notes should be a full paragraph, or a book chapter for some of them.
2) Delivery time for my first batch of CR1000 was way beyond the estimate, where normally they under-promise and overdeliver, they managed to keep my project on hold for like 4 extra weeks while I awaited delivery...but that was a few months ago... Shirley they have their production issues sorted out by now?

Last edited by OkiePC; June 5th, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:32 PM   #25
Kev77
United States

My #2 option is Weintek, just need to look over the differences in the models. Now to see if purchasing will allow me to buy it from PLCCable.com...

I will post the HMI file when I get to work in the morning but I'm fairly sure it's a hardware issue. I know it's not my laptop because I was connected to a compactlogix, Delta RMC and a stratix switch. I tried the HMI on the stratix switch, direct with a crossover cable, a USB ethernet port and my embedded ethernet port. All shows cable disconnected. I thought it might be settings but I went step be step from the manual and the technote they sent. The strange thing is the amber light on the HMI ethernet port glows dim with or without a cable connected. I have the ethernet port enabled in the HMI program and I have the protocol configured. Would there be some other way to disable the port?
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #26
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev77 View Post
The strange thing is the amber light on the HMI ethernet port glows dim with or without a cable connected. I have the ethernet port enabled in the HMI program and I have the protocol configured. Would there be some other way to disable the port?
That right there makes me think you DID get a bad unit. If the file you downloaded has the port enabled and configuration set to Manual with a valid IP for your network, that should be all it takes to be able to access it with Ethernet.
Old June 5th, 2018, 11:13 PM   #27
Highland Controls
United States

I recently did a CR1000 project, and no real problems other than the touchscreen won't work right if the mounting screws are too tight. A little disconcerting since I have never come across that before on another HMI. Also, you have to configure the Ethernet port for downloading the project, not just for use with your PLC. And lastly, I was disappointed that there was no emulator, and when I questioned Red Lion on it, I was told not to hold my breath. It won't be coming anytime soon.
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #28
harryting
United States

Huh, that's not inspiring any confidence on Red Lion which usually gets high mark here on the forum. I played with the software once to see how easy it is to use Data Station as a text/email alarm pager and it didn't seem very clear on how it is done but I didn't invest a ton of time into it.
Old June 6th, 2018, 12:22 PM   #29
Kev77
United States

Don't get me wrong. I have used a few of the older Kadet series in the past and they worked great. This is a new product line and maybe they have some things to work out or maybe I just got a lemon. This series also seems to fall in line with some of the lower priced units on the market so the quality might not be as good as some of the other Red Lion products.

Tech support was really helpful this morning and we did determine the unit has a hardware issue.

I live in Oregon and an installing this in PA. I can't take the chance on this unit having another issue in the field. It would cost 2-3X the amount of the HMI to fly out and replace it.
Old June 7th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #30
Kev77
United States

Well I received my new Weintek HMI this morning and programming was easy. Industrial Concepts LLC was really helpful in getting me out of a jam! The only thing I have an issue with is when I upload all the tags, it doesn't bring in the Alias tags so I pointed the lamp indicators to the plc output. I am really pleased with the product so far. My only other complaint would be the process of getting the user-defined and add-on defined tag structures in the program. Maybe there are ways to do it but I wasn't able to find it.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum