Remote Access To Compact Logix

+1 for the Stride Sitelinx. We have put two of them in the field and they are quite a bit easier to set up than the others. One is using Wifi and the other is wired. The first one gave us trouble when using AT&T service from Samsung S7 phone to access the HMI web page, but A/D tech support worked diligently for about a month and kept in contact with us until that issue was resolved. My personal phone (Samsung S7 on Verizon) never gives me any trouble connecting.

I have frequently downloaded updates to the Red Lion HMI over the VPN and done quite a bit of online editing using RSLogix 500 for the Micrologix 1400 at each site. Sure, it is slower than being there, but much faster than a 3 hour drive!

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Communications/Secure_Remote_Access_-_VPN

My experience with Cosy 131's is within the past year. I have used them with wired Ethernet connections, Wi Fi connections to the customers network and Wi Fi connections to a cell phone hot spot. I have had good speeds and reliable connections with all methods. Of course if the internet connection is poor then the VPN device can't fix that.

The current Cosy's do have an SD card slot which can be used to configure the device.

In regard to access control, the Cosy (and I assume most any remote VPN router) has the ability to restrict access to only specified IP addresses instead of allowing access to the entire subnet.

I have also heard good things about a unit made by Secoma.

In the end a user has to choose which device is best for their situation.

I'm once again looking at VPN options. I know about E Won and WebPort but it's the first time I heard about StrideLinx. Can someone who had experience with both comment on the differentiation?

Ive used both the **** and the stride link. I would pick stride link all day. Both will get the job done just fine but the setup and interface are drastically different. **** interface was designed by a programmer for a programmer. Stride was designed by a programmer to be used by a fast food worker, it really is that simple.

I am assuming you know about VPN's and their pros and cons, thats another discussion outside of which vendor you choose.

You should also check with your local ISP provider's!!

Here's why, Verizon can make a vpn network for you, so that any device you decide to put on that network will be just as if it is on your local network.

Any it is very affordable.

I've used both, and will use the Stridelinx going forward. It's less expensive and does everything we need. I noticed the latest firmware update allowed me to access the devices behind it without having the gateway properly configured when i had the "Enable Source NAT" option turned on. That turned out to be quite handy since I had forgotten to enter the gateway address in the PLC but I could still access it with RSLogix to fix that. I have done several firmware updates remotely to the Stridelinx router without any hang-ups, just a couple of clicks of the mouse, and maybe a minute or two offline while it does its thing.

I once locked myself out of the ********** and had to drive 150 miles to straighten things out. There are lots of thing under the hood of the cosy that might prove useful in very specific situations, but for me, it gave me too many keys to kingdoms I didn't fully understand.

I have now installed two Cosy 131 modules with good results. There is a bit of a learning curve on how to set it up correctly but not too bad after you get the gist of it. I think I'm going to take a look at Sitelinx as an alternative option.

We set ours to DHCP, never had a problem with a customers network yet.

Alternatively, if they give you a fixed IP address, use that.

Hey Scruffy,

Did you get the Cozy and how did it go?

We are using a couple and sending them all over with good results. Only tricky part is understanding each sites network structure so we can set up the device to work with it.

Tinkerman

At one of my last jobs, the company had about 10 systems with Cozy's in the field. They worked pretty good, don't remember any problems with them.