SLC 5/05 Commissioning Troubles

zacslade

Hi all,

I have a SLC 5/05 (1747-L552 B 4) that I've been tasked with recycling for use on another part of this factory. The device is connected to a mostly empty backplane, powered up on my desk for programming. The code is already written for a SLC5/04, so I'm going to upgrade that and download it.

But first to get connected to the controller.

The controller had an IP address written on the side of it, so my first thought was to get on that subnet and ping it. It didn't ping, so I figure this controller has been employed in more than one application.

Since I don't know the IP, I thought I'd plug into the serial port. I have a USB/Serial converter that I've used for this before. I plugged it in, found the COM# in device manager, found the serial settings in this manual and set them in the device manager and the RSLinx driver.. but nothing popped up in RSLinx's browse except for my own computer.

I figured there are only a few subnets that this device could have been on when it was previously employed, so I tried each one and left RSLinx running with an open E/IP driver. RSLinx didn't detect anything.

The next thing I tried was running the BootP tool with my computer on each subnet, but it didn't detect anything either. Then I tried BootP with my computer set to DHCP, but still nothing showed up on the list. I tried manually entering the relation, using the MAC as the Ethernet Address, but that didn't seem to work either.

So, after that, I opened up wireshark and started over at step 1. This time, I found out that when my IP was set to a certain subnet (the same as the one written on the side), I'd see the following packet periodically in wireshark:

Source: 0.0.0.0
Destination: 255.255.255.255
Protocol: BOOTP
Length: 342
Info: Boot Request from [the SLC5/05's MAC] (Rockwell_[MAC])

So, since that was showing up periodically, I opened up the BootP tool, verified that the "network settings" it had were the same as my computer's NIC, and waited a few minutes, but still nothing showed up in the list! Manually entering the relation didn't work here either.

Is there another way to commission these? Are there any "gotcha"s that I need to think about?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
- For serial, make sure you are using a null-modem cable. use auto-config feature in the serial.

- or, reset the PLC back to factory default by shorten the GND & VBB point on the PCB.

- After factory reset, try look for it on the BOOTP again.

There are a few reasons why your PLC may not have shown up in BOOTP. First step is to make sure you disable any wi-fi adaptors (or any network adaptors except the one you're connected to the PLC with). If that doesn't work, check out this thread for some more suggestions

@ASF

I was curious about that. I'll try a few things just to make sure that I can get BootP working, to save me some trouble in the future. šŸŗ

Thanks!

Just FYI: When the BootP program from Rockwell installs it does not configure your firewall. When I use it I have to temporarily turn off my firewall and anti-virus software.