PLC Wireless Network (Suggestions)

This is TRUE.

You will have to take into consideration what will happen when 1 or more plc's lose communication between the others.

If you do go with wireless I would keep then on a "Non-Overlapping" channel.

To build on what I said before, wireless networks are unlikely to be rock solid unless you do some honest to god design and planning ahead of time. Plan your channels, do a site survey at the facility to find out what existing wireless is in place. collaborate with IT to ensure you're sharing the wireless space.

And then they'll work fine until the IT group installs another access point somewhere and steps on what you're doing.

Industrial facilities with steel, brick, and concrete all over are big killers for wireless if you don't plan well.

There are some systems where wireless just makes things possible that you couldn't have otherwise done. I love it for mobile systems like AGVs and cranes/gantries. But you almost never get the reliability you expect if you just toss a couple routers up assuming it will be easier to do things without wires than with them.

Everyone’s first reaction here is to think WiFi, but that’s not where I’d go. You can get a decent WiFi network running but you’ll either must find a company that can support you or you’ll have to become an RF expert. If you go with a company that can support you (like ProSoft) you’re going to “pay” for those radios. You can find much less expensive radio than ProSoft’s radios with the same basic technology but you won’t get the kind of support you’re liable to need. This really is one of those “you get what you pay for” situations. So, if you’re going to spend the money, why not get a better technology than WiFi? There are a couple of company’s out there making “other” wireless Ethernet technology but XetaWave is something worth looking at.
Probably the smartest RF engineer on the planet is a guy named Johnathan Sawyer. He was one of the co-founders of FreeWave technologies which to date still has what is probably one of the best Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum radio modems (designs anyway) you can get. In 2010 he left FreeWave and co-founded XetaWave where he designed a series of software defined radios, again probably some of the best (if not the best) you can get. They have Ethernet radios that operates in the 900MHz frequency range and at the distances you’re talking about will easily get you upwards of 4Mbps.
Someone earlier had mentioned that if you plan this out it should go just fine (I’m paraphrasing) and that is certainly true. There are a lot of “commodity” radios out there that can easily get you into trouble and make a simple application the bane of your existence however there are also radios out there that will cost some money but the cost is justified by the performance and the fact that once you are up and running you’ll never have to deal with it again, it will just run.
https://www.xetawave.com/documents/Xeta9-900MHz-DataSheet.pdf

There are a couple of company’s out there making “other” wireless Ethernet technology but XetaWave is something worth looking at.
Probably the smartest RF engineer on the planet is a guy named Johnathan Sawyer. He was one of the co-founders of FreeWave technologies which to date still has what is probably one of the best Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum radio modems (designs anyway) you can get. In 2010 he left FreeWave and co-founded XetaWave where he designed a series of software defined radios, again probably some of the best (if not the best) you can get. They have Ethernet radios that operates in the 900MHz frequency range and at the distances you’re talking about will easily get you upwards of 4Mbps.
Someone earlier had mentioned that if you plan this out it should go just fine (I’m paraphrasing) and that is certainly true. There are a lot of “commodity” radios out there that can easily get you into trouble and make a simple application the bane of your existence however there are also radios out there that will cost some money but the cost is justified by the performance and the fact that once you are up and running you’ll never have to deal with it again, it will just run.
https://www.xetawave.com/documents/Xeta9-900MHz-DataSheet.pdf

Thanks. Had not heard of XetaWave before, I'll check it out.

My setup was an existing network. We extended the network with a bridge using the Nanostation. On the other end was a modem to extend the network. The nanostation acted as a bridge to extend the range of the original network. The PLC's were then connected to the system which appeared as one to them.

PLC - network - Nanostation - network - PLC

Regards,

My setup was an existing network. We extended the network with a bridge using the Nanostation. On the other end was a modem to extend the network. The nanostation acted as a bridge to extend the range of the original network. The PLC's were then connected to the system which appeared as one to them.

PLC - network - Nanostation - network - PLC

Regards,

Thanks Garry.

You can go here and find list of distributors in SoCal.
The map is at bottom of page...
https://www.anybus.com/contact

Should have said so, but I did try that, and searching on the website of the listed distributors did not yield much. Even doing a search for Anybus and not a specific device did not give any results.

I just find it more convenient when I can see the prices up front and have the online buying option.

I do appreciate you responding.

Last edited:
Should have said so, but I did try that, and searching on the website of the listed distributors did not yield much. Even doing a search for Anybus and not a specific device did not give any results.

I just find it more convenient when I can see the prices up front and have the online buying option.

I do appreciate you responding.

Call ANYBUS (HMS Industrial Networks) direct. They will give you local rep.
I use RK Controls.
http://www.rkcontrols.com/

The cost on these units is very reasonable.

Maybe it would be better to start a new thread, but I am looking at a project that I would need something similar to this and would appreciate feedback on the Anybus hardware.

The application is a completely portable auto lift. It consists of 4 towers each having their own controls, but communicating back to the master so they can all work together.

Since these towers are moved around and repositioned alot, we are exploring the option s for transferring the data to and from the master plc to the other plcs wirelessly.

These plcs would all be within 50' of each other.

Is this a wise idea?