Desklock help or advice on alternative

DarrenG

Hi folks,

I'm just trying to use Rockwell's Desklock to lock down the operator machine and am scratching my head with it. I've been reading the few tech notes on the kb about it but there's not a lot of information on it really. If I set it up the way I want it and reboot Windows it seems to work...somewhat, the task manager is disabled at least and some ctrl+alt+del options are gone but as soon as Windows is rebooted a second time it's reset to default I think. Also after the first reboot the set up is accessible without having to enter a password even though I had this option checked before the reboot. The password is changeable without having to enter an old password too... am I missing something here?

Are there any other alternatives that you would recommend instead? I have partially locked down access to the Rockwell products by adjusting the Product and System policies but need to lock down the Windows environment now too.

Thanks,

Darren

Hi DarrenG

i couldnt get the Desklock to work like it should. Sometimes it blocks everything, somethimes not. But i would be interested also in a software wich blocks the access to Windows and the file system. Right now i block everything manually (disabling it in Windows, like alt+tab, ctrl+alt+del, ...)
There are also a lot of places where the user gets access to the file system, and i would like to block them all.
- Trends: in the configuration menu if you click on help, it opens the help application or the internet explorer (depending on the Version of SE). But in any case there is access to the filesystem.
- Trends print: if you can select a printer, you can select "print to file" and you have access to the file system.
- Alarm list printing
- Most pdf viewer (for reports)
- Some more places i dont remember anymore

Does anyone know a software wich protects a specific application (in this case FTV) like Desklock should do? Or how to use Desklock on Windows 10?

Last edited:
Hi crawler009,

How did you block everything through Windows?

I had to edit the registry by following tech notes 64954 and 54812 in order for it to retain it's settings. How anyone gets this stuff to work without a Tech Connect contract is beyond me.

Anyway, I had to enable the Desklock desktop as opposed to the Windows one and open the SE Client application on start-up as opposed to opening the configuration file. The operator will have to then click the client file for the project and open it that way as I couldn't find a way of having Desklock open .cli files, it seems to only allow you open .exe files. I'm hoping that by having the Desklock desktop as opposed to the Windows one they won't be able to open internet explorer or anything like that but I'll have to test this over the next few days.

Look at replacing explorer.exe as the Windows shell with whatever application you want to run. You'll still need to use GPO to lock down other parts of windows like Ctrl+Alt+Del. Kiosk mode and Windows shell are terms to Google to find information on how to do this.

Hello DarrenG
what i mean is i blocked everything through the GPO (like shawn_75 said). Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+Tab, win+Tab, Windows 10 Touch gestures to minimize applications, disable right click, and so on.

I think you can call the Client .exe and pass the .cli file as parameter, so it opens directly.
It been a while since i tested the Desklock, and it was not Windows 10 and FTV 10. Maybe i should give it another try.

Please tell us what your experience when you do the tests. Whats happens if you click on help or print to file (or pdf)?

Good luck and best regards

Last edited:
i have problem in desklouk not take password

This problem is present in the Disk Lock program in the new update so that it does not accept the password set and when the application is removed, a defect occurs in the Windows files so that you cannot restore the desktop permanently, forcing you to reinstall Windows. I advise everyone not to activate it