Technologist vs. Engineer in Canada vs. other places

Just wondering what the general consensus was regarding these two accreditations.

In Canada a Technologist diploma is generally a 3 year (whereas a technician is a 2 year diploma).

A degree(to get your P-Eng) will generally take about 4 years.

Will a Technologist end up being on the road doing startups for the rest of his life, and the Engineer in a cubicle crunching numbers all day? These are the stereotypical views on the two I guess, but I was looking to get more real world answers.

Are Technologists capable of making very good money, or is that reserved for those who have at least an engineering degree, or their P-Eng. Also, how long does it take to get the P-Eng?

Basically I want to know if it's worth it to go back to get the engineering degree. It would take another 2 years via a bridging program.

From what I gather in the U.S. the difference between an Engineer and anything below that is quite substantial, but from what I've seen, in Canada the gap between Technologists and Engineers isn't as much(?). Technologists seem to be in a fairly respectable position(?).

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of the members.

If your are willing, do the extra 2 years.
It will be worth it in the end.
Look at some OACETT salary surveys, and the PEO surveys. They are very helpful, but don't show the WHOLE story.
Techs can sometimes make MORE money then the Peng's. so you have weigh each scenario seperately.

All in all, do the time. That is my advice.

I am a Canadian certified Electrical Technologist that has worked in the US. The difference between Canadian and US "technologists" seems to be quite substancial. I have tried to hire US technologists and most of them didn't seem to know didly. Which is I think why the diploma in the states is less acknowledged then it is here.

Having said that I have no desire to obtain a P eng. I don't need it. I am fully qualified to do the work that I do and all of my employers were a lot more interested in my abilities than my credentials. I have ran departments with several engineers working for me. However there is a glass ceiling with a lot of large employers in regards to Technologists and Engineers. Without the degree you might only be able to advance so far with a company. I don't want to run the show so I don't care, if you have desires to become a big shot then the degree will definately help.

To answer your other questions. I don't go on to the road to do start ups, and I have made a pretty good living being a lowly tech.

I'm a young engineer and I do both. I work in office crunching numbers and code...then i go out in the field and commission. From what I seen techs can do the same job and usually get paid around the same amount if they're doing the same job with the same experience. Experience seems to be what gets you dollars not degrees.

There are two major things i have seen that differ PLC technologist with PLC engineers. The first is the legal responsibly associated with stamping certain aspects of design. This usually isn't a big deal with PLC's because there's not much stamping with PLC's (see my post from a couple weeks ago).

The second thing I noticed is that most engineers step into a management role later in their carrer, where most senior tech guys are too good/valuable to take out the field.

In BC, it takes 3 years to get a Technologist diploma and 5 years to get a B.Eng. - if you take co-op and you don't fail any courses. The Technologist courses will be more involved than the Engineering courses. For example, I didn't do my first electronics lab (on Thevenin equivalent circuits!) until the second half of second year. When I took Technology courses, I was doing harder labs within a month of starting the program. (I started out with the idea of completing the Technology program, then bridging to EE in third year, but life didn't work out quite that way.)

If you want to pursue a P.Eng., you require at least 4 years of experience after graduation. (Some pre-grad experience may count, conditions apply.) If I'm not mistaken, that's equivalent everywhere in Canada. I've just put in my paperwork for my P.Eng. qualifications, so if you want a more detailed answer, I can give you one. ;)

There was talk of merging ASTTBC into the APEGBC umbrella, but that's no longer being worked on. That's a long story.

The role that you take is entirely up to you. I've worked in ditches, in shops, on docks, in offices, in cubicles, &etc. At this job, I wire panels, write PLC code, install motors, order parts, use jackhammers to break apart cement blocks, paint, repair CNC mills, design and build circuits, arrange CSA inspections, cut Aluminum, &etc. It's about your attitude and the direction you want your career to go. There are limits, of course - it's unlawful to practice Engineering in Canada unless you're a registered Professional Engineer or are working under their supervision. Those rules are there to protect the public from bad designs or incompetent practitioners.

PLCDontUQuitOnMe,

I'm a technologist as well. I could have continued and done a bridged EE degree at Lakehead U, but just didn't have the chance. I often wonder what if.

I started my career as an industrial electricians apprentice then moved on to process control. The experience I gained from being "on the tools" was absolutely priceless.

In my current position I sometimes work at an engineering level and sometimes get called upon to blow the dust off the tools. I like the variety.

I have a EE degree and PE here in the states. From my experiences working at various companies I have found that technologists cannot solve difficult problems involving large projects. They tend to memorize everything versus understand the concept..........that is difference between a technologist and an engineer.

Ken J said:
I have a EE degree and PE here in the states. From my experiences working at various companies I have found that technologists cannot solve difficult problems involving large projects. They tend to memorize everything versus understand the concept..........that is difference between a technologist and an engineer.

Maybe in the US, but I can assure you, being a technologist myself, that in Canada the training we receive is nothing close to "memorize everything".

Regards,

Yes, I also agree. I rarely meet engineers who are good at programming and automation, they are the ones looking into books and dont really know what they need. Engineers here rely on the technologists who really knwo whats going on to make themselves look good

I'm sort of in a dilemma right now if I should take engineering in university. I've just completed a 3 year technologist program and would like to go for the B.Eng but the thing is that it would be an additional 4 years.

Since this thread is somewhat related to my choices, I would like others opinion on this topic. Would it be worth it getting the B.Eng in another 4 years and would the outcome salary (pay) be that big of a difference between the two. I'm 21 now and would be 25 after the engineering degree so I think I'm still young.

Hi Bigoldblack,

I'd say it depends on how old you are. if you're still in your 20s or even early 30s, then go for it.

The reason is that unfortunately in most places in Canada, the technologist degree will not give you as much freedom as the engineer degree will. Companies seem to think that engineers are somehow some kind of gods that have all the answers. I know otherwise.

Also, in terms of salary, being an engineer will usually give you more, though I can't complain about my salary (I'm self employed and charge a fair enough hourly rate for my services).

This is only my $0.02 on the subject, and I hope others will give you their idea as well.

Regards.

Originally posted by Alaric:

I have never heard anybody say "I wish I knew less and was less prepared for my career."

But I have heard people say "I sure didn't get $100,000 worth of applicable knowledge out of that experience".

Keith