Link SLC 5/04 with SLC 5/03

SeanLee

I need to link a SLC 5/04 with a SLC 5/03.
also need to link to a computer with DF1comm for
data logging.

Have never done this before and have seen too many ways to
do it. So wondering what is my best route.
What parts will i need.

What is the physical distance between the three machines you need to network?

How much data needs to be exchanged between the two PLCs?

Also, will the data logging be temporary, ongoing, and how much data?

Paul

The data logging will be going to a custom hmi done with Visual Studio i have a Comm Driver for DF1 only.
The data logging comes from the 5/04

The distance is within 20ft of each other.

The connecton to the 5/03 is i want access to some of the I/O and just want to get it over the Comm network. Am not sure on how much data but shouln't be too much.

One may ask, why 2 different CPU types in the first place ?

The easiest is to exchange one of the CPUs so that they have the same network ports, DH485 or DH+.

Some other ideas:

Maybe there is the possibility to switch the SLC5/04 CPU to Half Duplex Master, and then let the HMI and the SLC5/03 be Half Duples slaves.
Can your HMI handle DF1 Half duplex slave mode ?

I also wonder if a couple of NET-ENI's could solve the problem. Can your HMI connect via a NET-ENI ?

My HMI is a standard computer and will be using a usb port on the DF1 comm from 5/04.
The reason for 2 different *******lers is the 5/03 is existing with no room in cabinet for expansion. The 5/04 is an extantion of the machine and used for separte machine also.
I went with 5/04 for the better processor. I only need some of the i/o from the 5/03 would it be easyer to just wire in the i/o with inputs and output? I was hopping to just use the comm to eliminate wiring and running for pipe.

The way i was looking at was using 1747-AIC.
Would i be better switing the 5/03 with a 5/04

I can think of four different ways to establish this communication:

1. DF1 Full Duplex only network with DF1 Port Splitter.

2. DF1 Full Duplex only network with DeviceNet peer-to-peer with three 1761-NET-DNI modules.

3. DH485/DH+ Network Bridge, 1785-KA5

4. DH-485 only network with 1761-NET-AIC at the SLC-5/04 serial port and a 1747-UIC USB/DH485 interface to the computer.

#1 may be the cheapest in hardware but will be the hardest to configure.

#4 would be my recommendation.

SeanLee said:
The reason for 2 different *******lers is the 5/03 is existing with no room in cabinet for expansion. The 5/04 is an extantion of the machine and used for separte machine also.
So, if I understand correctly:
The SLC5/03 controls part of one machine.
The SLC5/04 controls the rest of the machine, and also another machine.
So the reason for requirement for exchanging data between the two CPUs, is for interlocks that are really internal to one machine ?
I hate to say this, but it was a wrong decision to let one machine be controlled by 2 CPUs. You are now running into problems because of that.
I would have expanded the old system by attaching the expansion i/o to the original CPU via RIO or Devicenet.
I would have let the other machine be controlled by its own CPU.
It will take some expense to put it right. But I would bite the bullet and get over it.
Notice that despite you get some expenses you also save all the communications parts and programming for getting the two 'brain-halves' to speak together.

I would love to get rid of the old system and put in a all new one but teh guys with money wont let me. The thing is a few years from now they will ask me why it wasnt done right because a lowly tech wont be able to figure it out. I will tell them it wasnt done right because your cheap.

Yea the 5/03 was the origanl machine control. Like 15 years old i guess. We are replacing regular gauges with tranducer and adding other analog stuff. I wanted to scrap the old stuff and put all new and ethernet. So I have to peace it together and control add on stuff with new controller with parts i had laying around from other machines.

I dont agree with it either but i have to do with what i got for now. They wouldnt even buy me the DF1 driver for the computer but wanted dat logging still. Had to right my own that cost them more that buying the driver.

Thanks for the help looks like the way i thought i would have to do it is the right way.

1747-UIC for USB/DF1 to system

Let me be precise about my recommendation so there is no confusion.

1761-NET-AIC RS-232 Port (8-pin round) -> SLC-5/04 Channel 0 (configure for DH485 protocol).

1761-NET-AIC DH485 Trunk Port -> SLC-5/03 Channel 1

1761-NET-AIC RS-232 Port (9-pin Dsub) -> 1747-UIC -> Computer USB port

The computer interface must be 1747-UIC, a USB/DH485 interface from Allen-Bradley. A generic USB/RS232 converter will not work.

While the 1747-UIC works well with RSLinx Classic and its DF1 Full Duplex driver, I cannot speculate on how it will work with any other driver. I expect it to work correctly, but I don't know anything about your driver.

So let me see if i have this right. The AIC+ does not convert DH-485 to RS-232. I need the 1747-UIC for that.

I found a 5/04 laying around so if i go DH+ with the 2 5/04s
what would the best route be to get my computer with RS-232 and i have another component now that i need to connect to RS-232 also. I want the computer and other component conneted to my new 5/04.

with the computer just because it need a DF1 comm does not mean i have to be using RS-232 right? DF1 can be a 485 network also? So then i dont need the 1747-UIC. I would just use the AIC+.

Been on midnights all week now i can finaly procees all this without twitching from all the RED BULL.;)

The feeder i have to connect is close enough to the old 5/03 were i can just connect to the RS-232 on there. I will change the 5/03 to a 5/04 and run DH+ with 1 AIC+ for the computer and then pass the info from the (old 5/03 now 5/04) to the other 5/04 then on the the computer.

Tell me if I am wrong but i think this will work.

🍻