Two scanners on one DeviceNet?

RoTaTech

I am replacing a triple 1747 SLC control system, with a single CompactLogix L36.

I tried connecting the L36, with ITS SDN adapter, to the DNet and uploading. I could see nothing but the adapter in RSNetworx, and had to connect the 1747s up again for production. Yes, I have the appropriate resistors on the 1769-SDN, and am using the existing power supply from the existing network - essentially just taking the Phoenix plug out of the 1747-SDN and connecting it to the 1769-SDN.

It is difficult to budget time to take the machine down to connect to DNet.

Can I connect the new SDN as a slave node, and try uploading again, or conversely, using the new SDN as an adapter to "get on" the Devicenet as would the 1770-KFD or the 1784-U2DN? i.e. PC with RSNetworx to L36 (Ethernet or USB, both work) through the 1769-SDN to the DeviceNet, and upload the 1747-SDN through that?

Last edited:
Retrieve the existing (1747-SDN) network RSNetworx for DeviceNet application file first (Scanlist, I/O mapping and devices configurations); do you have it?

No, DM, that is my trouble - I have no ready way to get at the 1747-SDN. The SLCs are 5/03, so my only option would be to try the SDNPT pass-through through DH485, but that would also involve me taking the machine down to create the M files to allow pass-through -- plus, I have read other posts on here stating that it's not a pleasant way to access DNet.

My other option is to take my new SLC 5/05 CPU plug it into the chassis with the 1747 SDNs. I think that pass-through may be possible. But again, that comes down to getting machine down-time ...

Oh boy...

You will need to create a new RSNDN file for the 1769-SDN setup identical to the current network setup (except the Scanner) and then download it to the live, network connected 1769-SDN.

I can't believe the current setup doesn't have a DNet configuration/setup software PC interface.
You won't be able to add anything to the network without an active PC connection to the Scanner; you will have to add a node to the Scanlist and download.

M Files and PassThrough will need to be implemented in order to upload the 1747 Scanlist; then you will need to create a 1769-SDN RSNDN file, connect the 1769-SDN to the live network and download to the 1769 Scanner via Logix (Linx Enterprise) connectivity.

There really is no easy way around it...:D

I have located the original DNT files, installed the EDS files for the devices, and downloaded the lot to the 1769-SDN. It is still showing me an error 79.

The 1747 card is disconnected, and physically all I have done is join the new length of DN cable (about 10 metres) from the 1769SDN, to the connector from the 1746SDN - essentially replacing one card with the other.

Within RSNetworx, the every device is showing state "Missing", except Node 0, the SDN, which is "Ok".
The download log shows all nodes as "The device at address xx has experienced an identity communications error (80070057). Download failed."

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Quick edit - I now have the L36 physically beside the SLC, and just hop the connector from one to the other. As soon as the SLC is connected, its SDN quickly shows the normal 00, but the 1769SDN shows the 79. Stumped...

Are you sure you have the 1769-SDN configured for the same data rate (125/250/500) as the other network ? Are you sure it has a unique Node ID number ?

Error code 79 suggests that it's transmitting on the network but not getting any responses at all, even Duplicate MAC ID check packets.

Please remember that "downloading" to a device writes whatever is in the RSNetworx file to the device. Don't "download" when you go online with RSNetworx unless you have an existing master file with all the parameters for your slave devices in it. You'll end up loading default parameters to the devices.

Thank you for replying, Ken.

I have tried all three speeds, cycling power on CPU and DNet after each change. I did get a chance to plug in my 5/05, and saw that the 1746 card is 125Kbaud.

The adapter is set to node 0, as was the SLC adapter.
The devices are five Festo IO valve banks, and 3 Baldor drives, and an AC Tech drive. I have Re-registered all devices using their EDS files, CPU is in program mode, and downloaded.

I cannot seem to get the 1769 card to do an upload -- well, it uploads but only itself is present. (I am off-line at the moment - normally the node 0 shows Ok, and No, I don't have the KFD, the previous commissioner must have had it).

dnetlist.png
[/URL][/IMG]

dneterr.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
The 1769-SDN needs to be commanded to RUN; did you do it?

If not, within your Online Logix application Tag Database Editor find the DNet Scanner Tag Output (O) assembly O.CommandRegister.Run and make its value '1'.

What means are you using to connect your PC to the DNet network?
It looks like at some point in time a 1770-KFD was used as the network interface.

Yes, I leave the RUN on. I connect through Ethernet to the CPU to the backplane to the SDN.

Yes, at one time there must have been the KFD; I do not have access to one (until Tuesday, but I am hoping to get my I/O established before the weekend.)