Micrologix 1400 RTC

Old No. 7

I have an application where I'm trying to sync a HMI clock with the Micrologix RTC. I finally got everything working, but I found one fairly major issue. If you send the time/date while the RTC is disabled, the PLC will fault. What I would like to do is have the PLC program enable the RTC, but I don't think this is possible. The only way I can see is to enable it through RS Logix.

Apparently you can disable the RTC by writing all 0's to RTC Words 0 thru 5, which contain the date and time fields. I don't know, if you then write the current date and time into these fields, whether the clock will restart.

I did confirm that sending zeros to all the time/date fields will disable the RTC. Unfortunately, sending it time/date values when it is disabled will fault the PLC.

It's easy enough to prevent the fault by not sending values if the RTC:0/DS (disabled) bit is set but it sucks that there is no way to turn it back on through the program. Since it defaults off when you get a new PLC, I'm worried about our guys forgetting to turn on the RTC manually through RS Logix during startup.

The manual says the RTC:0/DS is read only. You can probably use that bit in logic to
only allow your HMI to write to the RTC when it's enabled.