penetrating temperature instrument

Hello

I am looking for Laser or Infra-red temperature sensor to put in our stores

stores containing coal piles "as shown in attachment".

my concern is that I need to measure the temperature inside the pile "no more than 1 meter" , not need the temperature of the surface

Any one know brand of sensor can help me?

thank you for helping

photo_2018-05-27_11-52-12.jpg

With an infrared sensor you can only know the temperature of the outside of the pile.
To read the temperature at one meter depth that meter should be transparent to infrared radiation and it is clear that this does not happen.

About a laser, as far as I know, it does not measure temperatures

Sorry, I can't help. But I'm curious- is this to make sure there isn't smoldering going on inside the pile for fire prevention?

You might check out this site for links to research on coal stock pile fire mitigation:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_to_mitigate_spontaneous_combustion_in_Coal_stockpiles

Thermal imaging is costly and but has minimal maintenance aspects compared to contact thermometry with thermocouples, which would be labor and maintenance intensive.

I'm not even sure whether a hefty 3/8" diameter sheathed thermocouple can penetrate 1 meter or 3 feet into a pile of coal without damage to the element.

Then there's the problem of getting the signal to where it can analyzed - lots of armored thermocouple extension cable.

There are battery powered wireless temperature transmitters (Banner Engineering).