Panelview Plus push button 'greyed out'

JZerb

On a Panelview Plus 7 i would like to setup a momentary push button, but i need it to only be 'pressable' when certain other conditions are met. I would prefer to not just put an indicator box on the screen the same size and such as the momentary push button, and then lay a momentary push button over it by making it 'visible' when said conditions are met. but thats the only thing i can think of to accomplish my task. any other ways i may be missing? Thanks.

FactoryTalk View Studio ME doesn't offer a way to "disable" a button, so you are left with placing something that looks like a grayed out button under your real button, then making the button invisible when it cannot be pressed.

Damn. Just as I suspected. Im not a huge fan of laying buttons/objects over one another, but I guess I’ll have to get over it.

Yep- I do it all the time. A box with a raised edge and a checkered grey background, then a text floating on top of that is the best way I've found.

So with this setup would you make the momentary push button visible when it’s needed and lay it over the box and text? Or would it be wiser to make the box and text invisible as well as making the momentary push button visible?

I make the "grayed out" button visible at all times, and I change the visibility as needed to the real button on top. Never had any issues doing it that way.

Assign your conditional bit to the Indicator Connection. Set State 0 to gray and it's caption to My Button Not Active. Set State 1 to blue and it's caption to My Button Active.

Then Series your conditional bit and your button's connection bit in the PLC to achieve your locked out condition.

Assign your conditional bit to the Indicator Connection. Set State 0 to gray and it's caption to My Button Not Active. Set State 1 to blue and it's caption to My Button Active.

Then Series your conditional bit and your button's connection bit in the PLC to achieve your locked out condition.

i could be wrong, but i think my issue with the above method would be that i would like to have a light green colored push button when that operation is available on the HMI. then once the button is pressed it now becomes a bright green, indicating to the user that they are indeed pressing that button. So States 0 and 1 are now used up for that functionality. Which is why i ended up having to do the greyed out button underlay with a shape and a text box as mentioned above.

No problem.

I was just giving you an additional option since you stated you did not like to stack objects. I use visibility myself to lock out buttons and the non-working duplicate object I turn into wallpaper. That way it's not an issue when editing the screen in studio and I only have to use the visibility expression on the working object.

But, FYI the Highlight color will indicate to the operator when the button is pressed.

Highlight.jpg

Highlightborder.jpg

No problem.

I was just giving you an additional option since you stated you did not like to stack objects. I use visibility myself to lock out buttons and the non-working duplicate object I turn into wallpaper. That way it's not an issue when editing the screen in studio and I only have to use the visibility expression on the working object.

But, FYI the Highlight color will indicate to the operator when the button is pressed.

View attachment 47806

View attachment 47807

See. I figured there was something like that but I guess I wasn’t looking in the right place. I used something like that in CCW on Panelview 800s but like I said I just couldn’t seem to find that in FTVS. Thanks, your method mentioned above makes much more sense now

My chosen technique has always been to make a multistate indicator that shows your "disabled" and "enabled" states, then just drop a button on top of it with transparent background and no border. Add your visibility animation to the button. When the PLC state makes the button "visible", it won't obstruct the indicator or change the screen's appearance, but will basically make the indicator into a button.

My chosen technique has always been to make a multistate indicator that shows your "disabled" and "enabled" states, then just drop a button on top of it with transparent background and no border. Add your visibility animation to the button. When the PLC state makes the button "visible", it won't obstruct the indicator or change the screen's appearance, but will basically make the indicator into a button.

Interesting take on this scenario. I may give that a go next time.