uploading from modicon m340 using unity pro xl

JohnRatHolten

Hey all,

I'm new to the world of Schneider/Modicon, need some help.....

I have inherited a Modicon M340 as part of some used equipment that our company purchased, and I'm trying to evaluate whether I should continue to use the supplied M340 plc (which I have no documentation for),or write new logic in a format that I am familiar with. at this point I just want to see what the M340 logic looks like.

I got a trial copy (good for only 21 days)of Unity Pro XL Ver.6.1 from Schneider, got it installed, got the USB driver working, I am able to "connect" to the M340, but I am unable to complete an upload from the plc.

When I am connected, I see some status boxes at the bottom of the Unity Pro screen with the following info;
"HMI R/W Mode" (in green, not sure what that means?)
"Different" (in red, I guess projects don't match?)
"Run" (in green, the plc's in run mode?)
"Upload Info OK" (in green, that sounds good?)
"USB:SYS" (in green, I guess showing I'm connected by USB?)

When I start the upload, first I get a warning that "the hardware catalog used to produced the application, is not the same as the current one installed". Not really sure what impact this has, but I did verify that the current hardware catalog includes every module on this M340 rack.

So I acknowledge this warning and the upload continues until it get to point where it is "creating project" and gets to "FB Instances 15%" where it then stops and gives the error "Transfer Project from PLC failed".

So my question is, do I really have a problem or do I just not know what I'm doing?

Regards
JohnR

This problem usually has got something to do with the hardware catalogue. Does the m340 have a canopen/profibus/modbus tcp ip network running on it. If so the harware catalogue needs to have the eds files of the items on the network (such as drives etc.).
Usually you can still upload from it though. But i have encountered this before. But at least I could download to the plc which you cant do seeing that you dont have the original program.

Hi John,

I've had this issue a couple of times with an older version of Unity and the Premium series of processors. Uploads would not complete successfully if the processor was in Run mode. If you can, try putting the processor in stop before uploading.

Whilst probably not an issue, look in the Unity Pro help file for Unity compatibility with the firmware in your processor. There should be a compatibility table early in the help file somewhere (not on my unity machine atm so can't look for chapter number). Fortunately the M340 hasn't had as many revisions at the Premium series so unless its a very old processor, this shouldn't be a problem.

Hey All,

I know this is an old thread, but I never did resolve my problem, and the for-mentioned PLC has been sitting on the shelf since last October......

As I stated in the original post, I acquired a "trial version" of Unity Pro 6.1, which I had loaded on an old pc from my junk pile.
this way each time I boot it up I can go straight to my bios settings and set the date to within the "good for 21 days" window.

I decided to dig it all out and give it another try with all the same results.......

One thing I noticed when I started the Unity program was a disclaimer stating some features may not work in the trial version,

Does anyone know if "uploading from PLC" is one of those non-working features????

regards
JohnR

The software works fine in the 21 Day window, so uploading and download is not an issue.

The hardware compatibility issue revolves with the 'Firmware'on the Processor. One suggestion is when creating your project check off 'Show All Versions' and select the processor with an older firmware version.

It is also possible if you have a "BMXP342010" or "BMXP342030" processor that they have been flashed to a "BMXP3420102" or "BMXP3420302"

Hope that helps!

Hello! The same problem: "Transfer Project from PLC failed" and an error
"Some reference are missing in the CANOpen catalog".
Does anyone know how to fix?

Hello! The same problem: "Transfer Project from PLC failed" and an error
"Some reference are missing in the CANOpen catalog".
Does anyone know how to fix?

Better to start a new thread rather than restart a 3 year old one.

It looks like you are trying to upload a program created with a newer version of Unity, update Unity to the latest version.

Was upload information even downloaded into the controller to begin with? I know with Concepts, I have to choose to add that option during a download.

Now there was different message: The Required Application Object reference: < __CKEY_Lexium32A_Default_ASF_CH_0 01.00 > is MISSING!
What is this?