ATLAS COPCO Combox-E

Help with comms

I have already configured my clogix project to include a generic ethernet device with the parameters you gave andrewf but i dont know how to configure messaging information to read and write parameters to the compressor.

Please, really need advice!!

Hi jordonado,
With the Ethernet device parameters and the manual you should be able to work everything out. The manual is too large to post here so i have uploaded it to a site, also in the file is the Atlas Ethernet/IP tool which is very handy for checking your comms first before trying to connect with PLC.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GEG7KFOQ

Combox-E with Redundant Systems

I realize this is a little late but I also need help. I have the info for setting up the Combox as a generic ethernet module but Rockwell states that this would be ethernet I/O & is not available with redundant systems. So I am trying to work our generic messaging & haven't gotten anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas on the Messaging setup for this? Service Code, Class, Instance, Attribute, etc? I haven't gotten much help from Atlas Copco on this.

Thanks.

The same Problem Andrew

The parameters i listed above are for the Ethernet module in RSLogix 5000. You right click on your Ethernet Module (ENBT?) and select new module and then select the generic Ethernet module, then you put in the IP of the Combox and the parameters i listed above.

I will send you an email with my contact details, i might not get back to you staright away as i am going to be very busy ove rthe next couple of days.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew i would aprecciate if you coul send me all the information Too I needed soo back my email: [email protected]

Thanks for everything
Nilton Ortiz

Andrew,

Have you gotten good performance out of the ComBox-E with ControlLogix ?

I attempted to use one of these about three years ago and found so many low-level EtherNet/IP connection failures that I gave up.

I wrote a detailed analysis of the performance problems with the device, including TCP/IP captures and protocol analyses, and sent it to Atlas-Copco. Never heard a single word from them afterwards, neither "thank you" nor "**** you".

My standard recommendation has been to not even attempt to use the ComBox-E with ControlLogix, but rather to add a Modbus port and use the ComBox-S in Modbus Proxy mode.

If you've made it work, and are willing to share your experience, I'll stop saying "don't do it !" and send inquiries to you.

Andrew,

Have you gotten good performance out of the ComBox-E with ControlLogix ?

Ken,
I just looked through my post history in this thread and i am surprised i had not mentioned that but I am of the same opinion as you, experienced many connection failures and could only reset with a power cycle of the Combox E. I still get a couple of private messages about this and when i send the information i always tell them of it's unreliability.

I have had the same experience with Atlas Copco technical support here, pretty much useless. It was not a critical piece of equipment for our customer and they did not want me investing too much time in it, so i gave up.

There is a user who has just had his in operation in the last couple of days so it will be interesting to see if there has been improvements in firmware with later models.

But if anybody is looking at utilising the Combox E as Ken says don't do it, look at other alternatives.

Hi jordonado,
With the Ethernet device parameters and the manual you should be able to work everything out. The manual is too large to post here so i have uploaded it to a site, also in the file is the Atlas Ethernet/IP tool which is very handy for checking your comms first before trying to connect with PLC.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GEG7KFOQ

Hi Andrew,

Would you please renew this link since it is dead right now. we now have project
with a combox-E Ethernet/IP interface for an Atlas compressor. I am reading the interesting post in this thread, still I am going to give it a try.

regards
Ali Goksu

we have used atlas copco on several machines with success using compact and control logix.
i am no longer with that company and cannot remember the exact steps.
i do remember that the manuals stink and are almost useless and tech support will NOT call back.

regards,
james