PLC Backups

Will look into MDT Autosave. Sounds promising for us as we are (almost) exclusively a Siemens site. Thanks for the info.

It says in the blurb that it will backup HMI's but I'm not sure how it would do that as most HMI's you cannot 'upload' from?

Still... will read more into it when I have more time.

From my experience, AssetCentre works pretty well with Rockwell products. I know it can do non-Rockwell devices provided it has the correct configuration. But the software is expensive and be prepared to pay.

If you are concerned about electronic audit trails it does a good job of logging things.

It takes a bit of setup and knowledge to get the server configurations ok. I've run into some issues on 64bit servers.

Also FT Security isn't the easiest to manage. I've locked users out of the system on a couple of occasions.

If you are backing up lots of HMIs I have concerns about RSLinx Enterprise's capacity for a large amount of devices. A site using AssetCentre is having problems because they reached the upper limit on adding HMIs to the Ethernet driver, and apparently Enterprise doesn't fully support making multiple Ethernet channels.

Long story short:
Works well with Rockwell devices.
Expensive.
A little tough to set up but works well once in place.
Security config can be a pain.
Perhaps go with another solution if you have a large amount of non-Rockwell devices.

I would suggest checking out VersionDog, I have not used them but have heard they work well and are probably a lot cheaper.

FactoryTalk asset can not do Robot backups (whole folder structure).

Is there any software on the market which allows me to auto control PLC backups together with robot backups ?

Is MDT good enough ?

Does Assetcentre only work with networked devices? Or does the check out method mean that you check the program out to a portable device (Laptop) which can then be used to make the mods offline from the Assetcentre server?

Check-Out and Auto-Backup of Siemens PLCs

+1 I currently have asset centre controling Siemens s7 controller files in addition to all of our AB controllers. I use the motoman plugin also.

When you perform Check-Out to a file corresponding to an S5, S7-300 or S7-400 project from an AssetCentre Client located on a PC other than the Server, it executes quickly or takes a long time to execute ?.

When you perform the automatic Back-Up with S5 PLCs, S7-300 PLCs or S7-400 PLCs, they complete successfully or present errors and do not execute?

Thanks