FTView 6.10 - 300+ Analog Setpoint Pop-Ups (display only)

KristienP

I have a client who has asked for a pop-up for each of their analogs, which will display the alarm values. The values displayed in the pop-up would be linked to the PLC tag. They have a total of 321 instruments across all of their sites.

My initial thought was to make a pop-up window, which is linked to global object. Draw a button on the screen for each instrument, which is "invisible" (same colour as background), and have it load a parameter file for each specific instrument.

This means I have to create 321 parameter files. Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Alternatively, they have 12 sites total, I could just create a large pop-up (full page?) and list all setpoints for each site on a single page, which would limit the number of parameter files needed to create.

The PLC's are either ControlLogix, CompactLogix, or Micrologix. Most of the alarm setpoints are scattered around the programs, and not in a single AOI. So each setpoint being displayed on FTView will need to be linked to a unique tag.

You don't have to use parameter files. You can call the pop-up with the unique part of the tag like 'PT101' and then use that on the screen just like normal. Like #1.SP #1.HighLimit etc. You can also use multiples like 'PT101, EStop, Plant' they become #1, #2 and #3.

You don't have to use parameter files. You can call the pop-up with the unique part of the tag like 'PT101' and then use that on the screen just like normal. Like #1.SP #1.HighLimit etc. You can also use multiples like 'PT101, EStop, Plant' they become #1, #2 and #3.

That only applies to FTView SE. If the OP is using SE, then yes, just specify the tags directly as you open the display, using the /t flag. Hopefully the analog variables you need to display are neatly packed into a UDT or AOI so you can use #1.HighAlarm and #1.LowAlarm etc as JaxGTO mentioned, and then you only have to reference one tag.

If you're using FTView ME, your only option is parameter files. For my money, I'd create one, export it, copy it 321 times, and edit using Notepad++. Still tedious, but a whole lot less tedious than manually creating them in FTView. With 321 to edit, it might actually be more efficient to export your tags to excel and write a script to parse the excel and generate the parameter files........yeah I'm going to leave now before I nerd snipe myself and lose the rest of my afternoon writing that script :D

Actually in ME you can use the Parameter List and from the help file: "you can specify a parameter list that will supply tag or folder names, or parts of tag names, for the tag placeholders."

Yeah, that's true - but I was talking more about your first sentence suggesting you don't have to use parameter files. What you describe still uses parameter files, correct? Or am I misunderstanding something?