MSG Instruction in CompactLogix 1769-L35E

ABTracking

I have an issue with the communication trough the MSG instruction, I want to send information to a printer from a 1769-L35E, I have configured the path LocalENB, 2, 192.168.0.60 where 192.168.0.60 is the printer address, also I have tried change the IP address putting the processor 1769-L35E address (192.168.0.10) instead of the printer address.
The MSG instruction is enabled but after 10 seconds approximately I recive the Error: 16#0001 Extended Error Code: 16#0000_0204 Unconnected message timeout.
Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum !

You probably won't be able to do this directly with a 1769-L32E.

Most printers don't speak the "CIP" protocol of A-B logic controllers; they don't emulate a Logix controller and accept an array of DINTs to be converted into characters, for example. So an ordinary MSG instruction, which is intended to carry data between controllers, won't work with them. The 0x0204 error code means that the device simply didn't accept a CIP connection request from the CompactLogix.

If you have additional information about your printer that suggests otherwise, folks may be able to help.

In general, connecting a printer directly to a PLC over Ethernet requires the use of "raw sockets" features to open a TCP connection then send ordinary ASCII data through it. This feature is native to the modern 5370 family of CompactLogix but did not exist in the 1769-L35E.

The most straightforward method for accomplishing such an integration may be the use of an external network gateway device.

Post more about your printer and folks may be able to help.

I have connected the CompactLogix 1769-L35E, firmware 20.14 to a switch and from the switch to the printer, I've thought that maybe the Ethernet card from the processor is not able to communicate because I have too the same configuration on Contrologix 1756-L72, firmware 29.11 with Ethernet module 1756-EN3TR (Name: Ethernet_Main) with the path just the name of Ethernet Module and works fine.
Example in the CompactLogix 1769-L35E, path: LocalENB, 2, 192.168.0.60 where ip address is of the printer.
In the ControlLogix 1756-L72, path: Ethernet_Main where Ethernet_Main is the name asigned to the Ethernet module.
My question is, are there something to add to communicate the PLC to the printer? Maybe add a ethernet module, change the Ethernet card or processor?

Again, what make and model of printer is it ?

If it's something special that works with A-B controllers using MSG instructions, then you should be able to get it to work the same with a 1769 controller as with a 1756 controller.

The 1756-L71 and 1756-EN3T modules are capable of the "raw socket" communications that I typically see with printers.

If you can post details about exactly what MSG instruction services and tags and functions you are using, and especially if you can post details about the printer, people may be able to help.

Dún do bhéal agus a oscailt do chluasa!...

Hi there,

The above is a little Irish saying which I felt was somewhat apt here. I'll let you look up the translation yourself.

As you are relatively new to the Forum I just want to give you a couple of posting tips...

Try to put as much detail in your thread titles as you can. If you had placed the printer make/model in your title, stating the fact that you cannot communicate between "this" controller and "that" printer, then you stand a far greater chance of attracting Forum members who may have specific knowledge of the equipment you are using.

How things generally should flow in a thread...

You ask an opening question...

Someone replies, giving some info, advice and possibly asking a pertinent question or two...

You reply, answering those questions before possibly asking more questions...

How things are flowing in this thread...

ABTrackin said:
...I want to send information to a printer from a 1769-L35E...The MSG instruction is enabgled but after 10 seconds approximately I recive the Error: 16#0001 Extended Error Code: 16#0000_0204 Unconnected message timeout.
Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

That's the opening question...

harryting said:
I never heard of a printer that can handle Ethernet/IP. What are you trying to do here?

First reply questioning if what you are doing here is plausible or not - seeking more details...

Ken Roach said:
...You probably won't be able to do this directly with a 1769-L32E.

Most printers don't speak the "CIP" protocol of A-B logic controllers...The 0x0204 error code means that the device simply didn't accept a CIP connection request from the CompactLogix.

If you have additional information about your printer that suggests otherwise, folks may be able to help.

...requires the use of "raw sockets"...This feature is native to the modern 5370 family of CompactLogix but did not exist in the 1769-L35E.

The most straightforward method for accomplishing such an integration may be the use of an external network gateway device.

Post more about your printer and folks may be able to help.

Plenty of good insight and advice, including the recommendation, twice, that you give more details on the specific printer we are all still guessing on...

ABTracking said:
...I have connected the CompactLogix 1769-L35E, firmware 20.14 to a switch and from the switch to the printer...I have too the same configuration on Contrologix 1756-L72, firmware 29.11 with Ethernet module 1756-EN3TR (Name: Ethernet_Main) with the path just the name of Ethernet Module and works fine...

What does "works fine" mean?
Is there a printer involved in what "works fine"?
If so, what make/model is this printer?
Is there more than one printer and if so, are they the same make/model?

ABTracking said:
...My question is, are there something to add to communicate the PLC to the printer?

Again, what printer? - make/model?

ABTracking said:
...Maybe add a ethernet module, change the Ethernet card or processor?

It is nigh on impossible for any of us to suggest what hardware configuration is required here without knowing more on the very piece of hardware you cannot establish a connection with.

Maybe, as Ken politely suggested, more than once, you could provide more details on that printer, and let potentially more experienced members decide whether having those details are important here, or not.

Remember, we are not sitting with you in front of all this equipment. We only have your descriptions to help us paint a picture. Whether it turns out to be a doodle or a masterpiece, is up to you.

Please take this advice as intended - to be constructive in you assisting us so that we can assist you.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thanks for your support folks and the replies harrying, Ken Roach and Geospark for the recommendations.
Sorry for the incomplete information proportionated.
The make/model of the printer is a Leibinger Jet 3 wich is used to print cable information in a line processing to a 300mpm.
I only use one printer connected to a ControlLogix 1756-L72 and the communication and function works fine, the PLC communicate with the printer and interact without problem send and receiving information. But with the CompactLogix 1769-L35E the same configuration and the same make and model of printer doesn't work.
I have three MSG instructions for initialize the communication all of these with Message Type: CIP Generic, in the next order in the ladder code with Service Type:
Delete Socket
SocketCreate
OpenConnection
All MSG insctructions as far as I know can be enabled (EN bit activated) but the Done bit never is activated, after 8 or 10 seconds send Error: 16#0001 Extended Error Code: 16#0000_0204 and the Error bit (ER) is activated.
I hope this information will be useful for you, and help us to get the root cause of the issue.

Thanks and sorry again for my english redaction.

Thanks for your support folks and the replies harrying, Ken Roach and Geospark for the recommendations.
Sorry for the incomplete information proportionated.
The make/model of the printer is a Leibinger Jet 3 wich is used to print cable information in a line processing to a 300mpm.
I only use one printer connected to a ControlLogix 1756-L72 and the communication and function works fine, the PLC communicate with the printer and interact without problem send and receiving information. But with the CompactLogix 1769-L35E the same configuration and the same make and model of printer doesn't work.
I have three MSG instructions for initialize the communication all of these with Message Type: CIP Generic, in the next order in the ladder code with Service Type:
Delete Socket
SocketCreate
OpenConnection
All MSG insctructions as far as I know can be enabled (EN bit activated) but the Done bit never is activated, after 8 or 10 seconds send Error: 16#0001 Extended Error Code: 16#0000_0204 and the Error bit (ER) is activated.
I hope this information will be useful for you, and help us to get the root cause of the issue.

Thanks and sorry again for my english redaction.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're mimicking the MSG instruction in a Control Logix. The extended error code is that your syntax for the comm path is incorrect. I think this is coming from pointing TO the printer, instead of to the com card. Try just pointing to ethernet port itself. Should be something like 1,0.

470690 | Date Created: 01/25/2012 | Last Updated: 11/15/2016
Access Level: Everyone

Unfortunately, according to https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/470690 1769-L35E CompactLogix controllers do not support Open Sockets communications similarly to the 5370 or 5380 CompactLogix and 1756 ControlLogix communications modules.

The only solution to this would be the replacement of the 1769-L35E CPU with the 5370 or 5380 equivalents or the implementation of a different communication method between the current CPU and the printer.

Last edited:
That's great information, and it confirms my suspicions.

The three MSG instructions you see in the 1756-L71 program are using the "raw sockets" feature: they create the TCP Socket, open a TCP Connection and send data through it, then delete the TCP Socket.

These functions are present and supported in the 1756-L71 and the 1756-EN3T.

These functions are not present and not supported in the 1769-L35E.

Though the 1769-L35E was very popular, it's a member of an older family of chips and operating systems for CompactLogix. The modern "5370" family of CompactLogix are very similar to the 1756-L7x controllers inside, and do support the "raw sockets" feature.

The simplest way to get support for this printer interface would be to replace the 1769-L35E with a 1769-L33ER controller.

Any other solution will require an external EtherNet/IP to "ASCII over Ethernet" gateway device. Real-Time Automation, Digi International, HMS Fieldbus, and Prosoft Technology are all vendors for that type of product.

470690 | Date Created: 01/25/2012 | Last Updated: 11/15/2016
Access Level: Everyone

Unfortunately, according to https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/470690 1769-L35E CompactLogix controllers do not support Open Sockets communications similarly to the 5370 or 5380 CompactLogix and 1756 ControlLogix communications modules.

The only solution to this would be the replacement of the 1769-L35E CPU with the 5370 or 5380 equivalents or the implementation of a different communication method between the current CPU and the printer.

I missed it not being an ER model 🙃 I remember reading that they added the open sockets capabilities when they added the redundant ethernet port. The message syntax would still need to be changed as previously mentioned (I think?).

Thanks for the information guys, it's very helpful for me, now I know that I need change the controller or add an external EtherNet/IP to do this, thank you for the support!

Dún do bhéal agus a oscailt do chluasa!... a long time but i believe it means close the mouth and open the ears