Can't switch Yaskawa FSP servo to RUN

panic mode

Hi everyone,

I've run into a problem with Yaskawa servo drive and need help asap (any help is more than welcome)
We are trying to get this going before Monday but the time is running out and I can't get hold
of my contacts before Monday.

The drive is FSP-02A, it is wired per manual and it looks normal, passes all checks etc.
but it doesn't switch to Run mode when /S_ON is active. I was checking if the signals are ok
by using I/O monitoring - Un005 (inputs) and Un006 (outputs). Everything is ok, no alarms,
setting inputs is correctly indicated by drive and so on. Pos and Neg Overtravel are wired
(and correctly indicated by drive) but servo doesn't provide Ready signal and display
never switches to RUN.

I can use software to go online with the drive. I checked parameters and inputs assigment everything looks fine. I tried mapping signals in parameters to another inputs, forcing it etc. but no luck.

:confused:

panic mode said:
Hi everyone,

I've run into a problem with Yaskawa servo drive and need help asap (any help is more than welcome)
We are trying to get this going before Monday but the time is running out and I can't get hold
of my contacts before Monday.

The drive is FSP-02A, it is wired per manual and it looks normal, passes all checks etc.
but it doesn't switch to Run mode when /S_ON is active. I was checking if the signals are ok
by using I/O monitoring - Un005 (inputs) and Un006 (outputs). Everything is ok, no alarms,
setting inputs is correctly indicated by drive and so on. Pos and Neg Overtravel are wired
(and correctly indicated by drive) but servo doesn't provide Ready signal and display
never switches to RUN.

I can use software to go online with the drive. I checked parameters and inputs assigment everything looks fine. I tried mapping signals in parameters to another inputs, forcing it etc. but no luck.

:confused:
Just had to ask, is the drive enabled?? Maybe a different "hardwired" Enable input?

Silly questions first...

Do you have a power suppy on both the main power circuits (L1 & L2) as well as the control circuits (L1C & L2C)?

Do you have +24V connected to the control cable (pin 47)?

Are the POT & NOT inputs N/C ?

Are your inputs wired for NPN (current sink) and these are common with the power supply (24V) on the control cable?

Does the Sigma servo driver have any display at all (with software disconnected)? - should be "bb" if it is ready.

It is my understanding that FSP is a version of Sigma II drive with additional built-in programming capability (it might as well be what used to be known as XtraDrive under different name). Looks like in order to enable this drive, just activating S_ON input is not enough; there must also be a program that contains CONTROL ON statement.

If oyu don't have a copy of FSP programming manual, get it here: http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmservo.nsf/link2/DLEE-6QKPZ6/$file/YEA-SIA-FSP-4.pdf

first of all thanks everyone....

most of the I/O of the FSP are programmable and the problem is that input for servo_on wasn't working (not sure why...).

this drive is one of sigma series but it has separate software.
at the moment i suspect the software is the problem (at least part of it - other than me and lack of time):

- very limited monitoring (only 4 values can be monitored using Watch list). in fact it took me a while to notice that "online" values are not from the drive: download parameters, go offline, change one of them, go online, upload from drive and noticed that
upload didn't change the value of that parameter back

- drive does seam to work but "download" doesn't seam to transfer changes which were done manually (after new project was created using wizard). when settings are made in appropriate screens while using wizard - it did work. i will try to verify this one more time but i guess i'll have to use operator panel on front of the drive to make adjustments...

current status:
- drive can be turned on and moved by plc signals
- software allows writing program(s) sequences but download is for some reason disabled if pulse train input is selected (don't see this mentioned in manuals...)
- homing only supports two modes (to sensor and to hardstop). i would really like to use last one for this application but since programs don't seam to work with this type of input, i'll have to rethink few things or keep on digging...

Sounds like you have the drive working (run signal) but just need to get the programming sorted. All the SIGMA drives I've done have always required a hardwired RUN signal but I am sure this function can be done with software as you can enable the drive for test run & jog functions without even having a control cable attached.

As a thought... using pulse train signals I would generally send speed (freq) & distance (number of pulses). THe motion profile is done by the device sending the pulse train therefore no need for motion profile in the drive. If there was to be a motion profile in the drive I would expect to send a go / stop signal and maybe adjust max speed / torque via comms bus or analogue signal. This is possibly the reason that pulse train is not an option for a predefined motion profile. (just guessing)

yesterday it worked as soon as i touched it (i can start it, move it, read position feedback etc.). everything looked good which makes me wonder why it wasn't respond same way the day before.
as far as i can tell it was the software (not sure but maybe i didn't reboot after installing it).

anyway, one thing that i'm still trying to figure out is why it won't let me download programs so i can let drive execute certain sequence when one of the not-assigned inputs is triggered.