Zebra Ethernet/IP Printer and Studio 5000

widelto

Hi folks:
Recently I received a new software package for my ZT410 zebra printer, this package includes firmware for printer port (EIP) , AOP (add on profile) and some documents that explain how to setup the printer.

Setting up the whole thing is easy, in my case I will use 2D code (QR code), but using bar code is exactly the same.

The only you have to do is organize how your data is going to be printed, you have to use ZebraDesigner software to design your label and and send the label to be written on printer flash memory, then copy ascii character to your plc´s printer buffer then send data to your printer and voila.

See attached files.

AOP__.jpg AOP_2.jpg AOP_3.jpg doc2.jpg doc1.jpg

Zebra printers must be a hot topic these past couple weeks. I saw someone else post about them and I just did a project myself this week with one.

In my project I had to print a label when a bit in the PLC (CompactLogix) would go true, then read some values from the PLC to inset in the label. I started hand coding the ZPL and realized it can get very tedious. To make this easier, I used the ZebraDesigner software (which was free) to create the label with a visual designer, similar to the way you did. I then used the Print To File function to get the ZPL for the label into a text file/

I also created a parser for AdvancedHMI that would search the ZPL file for anything enclosed in brackets in the ZPL (which was done within ZebraDesigner), then use that value as a tag name to get data to replace it with. The final ZPL string was then sent directly to the printer.

Archie:
What you did is very similar to what I did, the only difference is that my parser is located inside PLC memory.
By the way I´m playing with three industrial computers for the same project , I`m using Advancedhmi. They are going to be used on 3 palletized stations.

The application I put in was actually a redo of an implementation that someone put in before I got involved with fixing the system. The prior setup used WonderWare to monitor the bit in the PLC which then gathered some information and sent it to an OmniServer over OPC, then in turn was relayed to the Zebra printer. It was about once a month that something would go wrong with that setup and caused the printer to stop printing. Once it was an OPC issue, then it was something happened to the Wonderware license, then the final one was after a power outage the OmniServer decided to go into demo mode and shutdown every 2 hours. So if anyone is looking to use the WW->OmniServer->Zebra network printer solution, I recommend avoiding it.

Widelto.... You'll have to let me know how your AdvancedHMI project turns out. Is this a system in Colombia?

I'm doing something very similar with a Zebra ZT410 and a CompactLogix L36ERMS. I've installed the AOP, setup a PLC program with the module and verified communication settings, but I can't seem to get the PLC to communicate with the printer.

I read in the manual that you need the "Special Firmware SP004629A." Is that the software package you are referring to? I haven't been able to find any other documentation about that firmware version (we have V75.20.01Z). Also, do you happen to have the EDS file handy? I can't see it in RSLinx to upload the EDS like the manual specifies.

Any help or will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Braydon

Last edited:
Box converter

I need to buy a converter box, but I do know specify it.

Could you help me? Are you converting from RS-232C to ethernet/IP?

Whats the protocol?

Thanks

Hi folks:
Recently I received a new software package for my ZT410 zebra printer, this package includes firmware for printer port (EIP) , AOP (add on profile) and some documents that explain how to setup the printer.

Setting up the whole thing is easy, in my case I will use 2D code (QR code), but using bar code is exactly the same.

The only you have to do is organize how your data is going to be printed, you have to use ZebraDesigner software to design your label and and send the label to be written on printer flash memory, then copy ascii character to your plc´s printer buffer then send data to your printer and voila.

See attached files.

I have tried to buy a Special Firmware SP004629A in order to convert TCP/IP to EIP, but this firmware just be sell in the USA and I am in south america. I have already requested for our branch in the USA to buy this firmware, we purchased 2 licenses, but Zebra isn't wan't help and send the link to download, so we probably will need to request for the zebra partner refund, so I'm finding a box converter, do you know any converter?
Could you send me by email the Special Firmware SP004629A for me try the functionally?

AOP I have already installed and added a network in my plc program. My only problem is RSlinx can't identify Zebra printer because lack os Special Firmware SP004629A.

Thanks

Zebra ZT 410 and Rockwell PLC (special firmware)

I have tried to buy a Special Firmware SP004629A in order to convert TCP/IP to EIP, but this firmware just be sell in the USA and I am in south america. I have already requested for our branch in the USA to buy this firmware, we purchased 2 licenses, but Zebra isn't wan't help and send the link to download, so we probably will need to request for the zebra partner refund, so I'm finding a box converter, do you know any converter?
Could you send me by email the Special Firmware SP004629A for me try the functionally?

AOP I have already installed and added a network in my plc program. My only problem is RSlinx can't identify Zebra printer because lack os Special Firmware SP004629A.

Thanks

We use Intermec and Zebra and put all the printer codes in SQL server. A windows service monitors PLCs for print requests. The service sees the trigger in the PLC then reads PLC tags to use for the printed tag. That service WCFs to a printer handler service that uses the data as parameters for a stored procedure call. The stored procedure returns the entire printer string to the print handler service and it prints to the correct printer. Any additions and changes are done on the fly through SQL.

@pb2609:

The software package i talked about is to convert printer ZT410 from TCP/IP to EIP.
I received a second printer and both are working properly.

Thanks

Hope it works out but I can only see the zebra solution working on very non-demanding applications with only a few different kind of labels. And not very future proof.

It's just hard with just a PLC because it's really the wrong kind of tool for the job of handling a printer.

An industrial IT solution would be better than an automation solution.