SLC 5/05 to PV+ communication

kbradray

I have danced all around this issue posting questions, and I am still unsure what is happening. I now can give a better explanation so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I am communicating between a SLC 5/05 and PV+. The IP address on the SLC is 169.254.215.1 and the IP address of the PV+ is 169.254.215.2

This is duplicated on 2 test tanks both machines have the same addressing; therefore, I can load the PLC program in each SLC and the PV+ program in each PV+. The only difference is that machine 1PV+ is a 1000 and machine 2PV+ is a 700.

I have asked in the past how to change the IP address of each device and received responses which has helped me to keep the machines running during time of need. Here are some more specific questions to hopefully diagnose the problem. I had no issues on machine 1. I put PLC edits in test. I modified the archive PV+ program. I created a runtime to be loaded into the PV+. I successfully backed up the existing PV+ program to a file just in case. I successfully downloaded the new PV+ program to the PV+ 1000.

Machine 2 is where I ran into issues. When I downloaded the modified PV+ program to the 700 (the same as prior) I had errors on all my buttons and the shortcut to the SLC were not communicating. I went into configuration to look at the communication explorer and there was nothing listed. I tried to start from scratch, but when I pulled up the menu to add the IP address to the PV+ it showed the correct IP address and again nothing in the explorer.

I discovered that there were several programs stored in the PV+ and was able to load the previous program and get the machine up and running again. When I pulled up the configuration again there were both the SLC and PV+ in the explorer.

I verified the shortcut in the runtime file correct by using the communication shortcut selection in the RS Studio software, but I am still unsure what is happening. When power is killed it must default to another program stored in the PV+ because I have to again reload a different program via configuration.

A couple of questions:

1. Any ideas as to what is happening. Why will the runtime file work in 1 PV+ and not in the other even though both are using the same IP addressing?

2. How do you remove some of the unused stored programs in the PV+?

3. Can you have 1 PV+ program stored with 1 set of com parameters and another program stored with another set of com parameters?

4. A step by step example as to how to change SLC 5/05 IP address from 169.254.215.1 to 192.168.0.??? and the PV+ address to something similar on the same subnet (Plant PLC Network)

Very long winded but thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ken

Ken,

1) - It sounds like the one PV+ is set to run an old stored program on the PV+ and the other is not.
2) - Remove power from the PV+ and then reapply (basically reboot it). On the start up there will be a small white square in the lower left hand corner (I could be wrong on the location) when the PV+ is powering up. Press this white square. Once the until is booted up it will be in the setup screen. From here you can delete old programs, change the IP address, and change the way the communications are setup.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Yes,

Most of our PVs and PV+s have to use the small square to get to the configuration menu via power down and power up.

I am still confused as to why 1 uploaded and downloaded with comms and 1 did not. The 1 with problems defaults to a program that is stored in memory and the comms are not correct. I have to load and run a previous program.

Thanks again for any advice

Ken

Is there a chance that the panel with the problem has a different firmware rev number? I had an older PV+ as a repair part, When I went to load the new program, It needed a flash update to run.
just a thought.