SLC 5/05 Ascii and Barcoding

kbradray

I have been reading around the site here and some of the help supplied by the SLC software. I am about to start a project which will use a SLC 5/05 to read a barcode from a reader to be determined. I have never worked with any ascii devices, so please validate or correct my thoughts.

This is what I am thinking so far:

1. The barcode reader will be plugged into the DB9 RS-232 channel 0 of my SLC 5/05. The reader will be triggered by some means to read a target.

2. Once a read is captured it is automatically sent to the Ascii buffer of the SLC. This is why the Ch 0 User tab must be configured to align with the barcode reader parameters.

3. An ARD can be used to read what is in the buffer.

4. From here it can be converted into an integer and stored in an N (integer) file

5. Then the buffer can be cleared and await the next barcode with an ACL.

If this is correct my next questions are:

1. Do I need to use an AHL to reset the channel

2. Can anyone provide some examples as to how to use the control bits to toggle the A?? Instructions? (I have seen something posted by genius)

3. Any reader suggestions

4. Is an Ethernet reader possible and instructions of how to configure? This SLC is on my plant Ethernet network.

5. Any other suggestions.

Thanks Ken

If the reader sends you a whole barcode string, then it will not (usually) fit in a single integer.

You can, however, use ASCII compare instructions in your logic to determine which product ID value is a match.

Look at the ASR instruction.

We have 3 DataLogic barcode readers on Devincenet, and have had no problems with them for over a year since they were first installed. They have a fantastic read rate even with our latest oddball colors like light green on brown cardboard.

Can't help much with your ASCII instruction questions. I think the answers are going to be device specific.