Plx51-df1-eni in ignition

marlonhiram12

Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to communicate with an SLC500 Processor through a PLX51-DF1-ENI Prosoft Module. This module is a DF1 to Ethernet/IP converter.

To get the data I'm using Ignition 7.7 with an OPC-UA Connection. I had no luck doing this and I'm starting to get frustrated...
It is assumed that the module works like the 1761-NET-ENI module from AB.

I don't know if someone of you guys has done something like this successfully. I did a lot of research on the Internet and I can't find anything about this topic. The only thing that I found is that there are other two DF1 to Ethernet modules that work properly.

One is DIGI ONE IAP and the other is one from MOXA.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

What model of SLC-5/0x controller is the device connected to ?

Have you verified that the physical connection and serial configuration are correct ?

Have you been able to communicate with the SLC using RSLinx software ?

More information about any diagnostics or configurations that you have tried would be helpful.

You will need the 'Allen-Bradley Driver Suite' Module which enables the Ignition native OPC-UA module to connect to AB Logix (Rev.21and older), SLC, PLC or Micrologix CPUs via DF-1 communications.

It runs some $400 but it can be downloaded and installed freely and will be functional for a couple of hours. There are video examples on Inductive University for implementation procedures.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

What model of SLC-5/0x controller is the device connected to ?

Have you verified that the physical connection and serial configuration are correct ?

Have you been able to communicate with the SLC using RSLinx software ?

More information about any diagnostics or configurations that you have tried would be helpful.

Thank you for responding "Ken Roach"!

- What model of SLC-5/0x controller is the device connected to?
Right now we're using an SLC 5/05 Processor. I know that SLC 5/05 has an Ethernet Channel. We're using this Processor just for testing. The real one that's going to do the communication is an SLC 5/04.

- Have you been able to communicate with the SLC using RSLinx software ?
Yes, I can see the processor on RSLinx. I can download and upload programs. The PLX51-DF1-ENI is configured as a Bridge, don't know if you had the painful experience to work with one of these. The quick start configuration is very easy.

I'm creating a new "Allen-Bradley SLC" device in Ignition. The configuration I have is:
Name: SLC
Enable: CHECKED
Hostname: 192.168.16.140 (This is the IP Address of the PLX51-DF1-ENI)
Timeout: 2000 (default)
Browse Cache Timeout: 240000 (default)
Connection Path: I leave it in blank
Disable Processor Browse: CHECKED
Zero TNS Connection: UNCHECKED

When I put this configuration the STATUS of the module only shows "Connecting: Determining Protocol" and after a while "Disconnected: Determining Protocol".

I don't know if this information will help you to diagnose my situation hahaha. If you need more just tell me.

You will need the 'Allen-Bradley Driver Suite' Module which enables the Ignition native OPC-UA module to connect to AB Logix (Rev.21and older), SLC, PLC or Micrologix CPUs via DF-1 communications.

It runs some $400 but it can be downloaded and installed freely and will be functional for a couple of hours. There are video examples on Inductive University for implementation procedures.

Do you know the exact name for this Driver? It would help a lot.

Yes, I can see the processor on RSLinx. I can download and upload programs. The PLX51-DF1-ENI is configured as a Bridge, don't know if you had the painful experience to work with one of these. The quick start configuration is very easy.

I'm creating a new "Allen-Bradley SLC" device in Ignition.

Just a guess but it sounds like its working and maybe your issue is with Ignition not with the Ethernet adapter

Do you know the exact name for this Driver? It would help a lot.

As stated in my previous post, on the IA website and on the Gateway configuration page 'Allen-Bradley Driver'; this is a separate module than the 'Logix Driver' module to be used with (I belive) Logix CPUs carrying firmware 21 and newer communicating over EthetNet/IP.

Originally Posted by marlonhiram12 View Post

Try creating a new "MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 series PLCs" for the SLC configuration in Ignition

Originally Posted by marlonhiram12 View Post

Try creating a new "MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 series PLCs" for the SLC configuration in Ignition

I also did this. I create a new "MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 series PLC" device and configure it for my SLC. The status of the device shows "Connected: Protocol: PCCC" but after a while, it disconnects.

I really don't know how PCCC protocol works, and nobody had posted anything about the connection path for this protocol...

But as I said, after "Connected: Protocol: PCCC" appears, it disconnects and doesn't connect anymore.

What is the baud rate setting on the serial port? Try lowering this setting

If he can work with the PLC using RSLogix from the same machine where the Ignition gateway resides, then the configuration issue must reside within the driver or device settings in Ignition (or there might be an outside chance that the bridge device has some response that affects the Ignition driver, but that is not a bother for RSLinx/Logix).

I cannot imagine that the serial baud rate would have anything to do with it.

I am not familiar with that model of DF1 to ENI bridge, but with the 1761-NET-ENI it was not uncommon to use up the number of available connections and cause communications issues. I always preferred the Digi-One IAP for this application since it never seemed to freeze up, but would just get slow if you tried to do more with it than the serial port bottle-neck would allow.

I'd recommend calling for help with the folks at Inductive Automation and perhaps starting a thread on their forum to reach a wide base of experienced users.

If he can work with the PLC using RSLogix from the same machine where the Ignition gateway resides, then the configuration issue must reside within the driver or device settings in Ignition (or there might be an outside chance that the bridge device has some response that affects the Ignition driver, but that is not a bother for RSLinx/Logix).

I cannot imagine that the serial baud rate would have anything to do with it.

I am not familiar with that model of DF1 to ENI bridge, but with the 1761-NET-ENI it was not uncommon to use up the number of available connections and cause communications issues. I always preferred the Digi-One IAP for this application since it never seemed to freeze up, but would just get slow if you tried to do more with it than the serial port bottle-neck would allow.

I'd recommend calling for help with the folks at Inductive Automation and perhaps starting a thread on their forum to reach a wide base of experienced users.

I already talked with tech support of Inductive Automation and they don't see a way to do this. They haven't used this module in any application so they don't have the experience :(

We will use probably a Micrologix 1100 or 1400 as a "Gateway" to poll data from the SLC 500... With Peer-to-peer messages through the serial port and creating a new "Micrologix 1100 or 1400" device in Ignition, it will work.

That wasn't our first idea but I think it's the only way...

Thank you guys for all the support!

And if you have the opportunity of this kind of job, please don't consider the PLX51-DF1-ENI for Ignition OPC-UA communication... I think it isn't compatible... This module works well for message communication only.

Thank you guys for all the support!

And if you have the opportunity of this kind of job, please don't consider the PLX51-DF1-ENI for Ignition OPC-UA communication... I think it isn't compatible... This module works well for message communication only.

I found a solution in Ignition guys using this module. I created a new OPC-DA COM server connection to RSLinx Classic. Doing this, I could browse all the data files in the SLC 500 using the Gateway PLX51-DF1-ENI.

In the IA Forum, I saw a post saying that if your device isn't compatible with Ignition Devices Drivers you can use this option for the communication. It worked for me.

If you want to see more about this topic I'll put the link below.

https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/opc-da-to-rslinx-classic-emulated-plc/11667