Confusion about installing Legacy RSLogix 5000 versions- Below v.12

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a possible project fixing a customer's old machine that is using a ControlLogix 5550... but I need to have v10 installed. Up to this point, the earliest version I have installed on my Windows XP, SP3 is v.12. I'm trying to build up some experience in servicing these old controllers to be able to upgrade/update them to newer PLCs. I've started downloading earlier versions, starting with 6.01. The versions available for download with my S/N are:

I just created a new VM (VM Workstation Pro 16) with a Windows XP, SP2 operating system. I was focusing on the v10.07, but now I'm wondering what is the oldest version I should try installing first? I'm so far back now that it seems harder to get straight answers from Rockwell. I'm not sure about pairing that with RSLinx versions. Maybe there is a logical limit to which versions I should load on the XP SP2 VM. Does anyone have experience to share?

I saw an .iso for Windows 2000 and I might try creating a VM with that, if that helps your answer. I'm also trying to learn how to use my activation with these old, legacy versions. I'm wondering what kind of hassle it is to activate them... didn't they need an activation on a disk?

Prior to version 10 you could only install a single version at a time. So, I would stick with version 10 for now until you know for certain that you need an older version. Then you can install just that one version in addition to the version 10 and above that you've already installed. The 5550 controllers were supported up to version 15 I believe.

As for RSLinx, I would use whatever the newest version is for your operating system. Windows XP support was eventually dropped so whatever the last version to support that is what I would use. Personally, I've never had an issue using a newer than recommended version of RSLinx. Problems always have been from using a version that was too old.

Good move using a VM so you can snapshot before installing an older version. You could even create a timeline with different versions. The "Baseline" in the example below could include versions 10-15.

OG

VM Timeline.png

Last edited:
Thanks! ...One version per VM.

I'm still trying to get proficient at using the Rockwell site. I'm having trouble finding the right version of RS Linx to put on that VM, along with the v10 software. Do you know where to find that info?

Next thing to learn will be how do I activate the old software. I'm assuming at some point the usual Factory Talk Activation software doesn't work anymore. Someone was telling me about a activation tool... ?? Any experience with activating the old, old versions with current FT Activations? Was there a version where things changed? Is it a difficult process to activate prior versions, like v.6?

...I just re-read your post. Forget about the RSLinx version. I'll look at my XP, SP3 VM for the answer.

The version is 3.51. I'll just assume SP2 will use the same.

Scratch that ^, I found the compatibility page for RSLinx Classic Lite. For SP2, I downloaded v2.59.02.

Last edited:
I have a all my versions 10-32 on the same Windows 7 VM
without any problems

Wow. You mean Logix 5000 and Studio 5000 are playing nice? And you don't have any issues with 32 bit and 64 bit? (I don't know if that is an issue with Rockwell like it is with Siemens Step 7 Classic)

The thing I'm stuck on now is the activation. The version 10.07 I installed on an XP VM is prompting me for the EVRSI method of activation. I haven't installed Factory Talk Activation Manager on it yet because there wasn't a version that Rockwell said was compatible with XP, SP2, and only one that was ok with XP SP3.

I'm finding that if I follow the green checks and the red Xs, trying to get a working version of Logix 5000 on my XP, SP2 VM is not possible. ...Looks like I'll create a blank copy of my Windows 7 VM and try installing 10.07 as an experiment.

Yes that's what Rockwell recommended
I have had my activations on the dongle for years
and I keep backup of all my installs as well as a backup of the VM
I think this is the best way to go if I have to change computers just copy the VM machine and I am good to go all updates are to the VM
it's just a few extra steps when i boot up my pc but it not to bad

To clarify about post #2...that is one VM with snapshots for the different Logix versions prior to version 10.

Setup the Baseline VM. Create a snapshot. Install version 6. Save a snapshot.
Revert to Baseline. Install version 7. Save a snapshot.
Revert to Baseline. Install version 8. Save a snapshot.

Now I could move between any of those snapshots. This takes much less space than having separate VMs for each. But if you wanted to, you could take a snapshot and clone a VM from that snapshot. Linked clones would save space.

OG

Last edited:
That's a really good idea. I just started taking advantage of using snapshots in the last couple of weeks. I'm going to try that out.

I think I'm going to try installing version 10 on a Windows 7 VM. I messed up my template Windows 7 VM, so I wasted a bunch of time creating a new one last night. I can't believe how much time I wasted on this trying to get something that I'm not even sure will work in the end. But I guess that's the nature of experience.

I have RSLogix version 10.07, 20.04 and Studio version 30
(a strange combination I know)
I also have RSLinx ver. 4.0

They are all installed on Windows 10 no VM Ware, all work flawlessly no issues.

If you are just making a few changes in RSLogix version 10, why not just download it (it's only 38mb file) install on windows 10, make changes and then uninstall it....

I think there is a broad consensus amongst members that VMs are useful, but certainly not required. I personally no longer install any manufacturer software on my host machine and install only into a VM.

My VMs are duplicated on a USB drive. They are easily transferrable if I get a new computer or have to replace a hard drive. Or if I want to work on my home PC. No more endless hours downloading and installing software.

While Logix 10-33 may all play nicely together on the same computer (and in my experience, they do), many of us need to work with different versions of other software, or work with multiple manufacturers. VMs make that manageable.

My example with the various snapshots were primarily shown as a method to support versions prior to RSLogix v10 when you could only have one version installed at a time. Prior to version 10 you had to uninstall one version in order to install a different version.

OG

OG - I totally agree, vm's are great....

It's funny, I just did the exact same thing last week, someone asked me to make a programming change in a 1756-L55 processor running version 10.

I was just surprised that I could download version 10 from the Rockwell website, install it on Windows 10 with Studio Version 30 previously installed, and have the programming change completed all in a few minutes.

More like shocked....

Activations

Assuming you have a system integrator kit with your distributor of Rockwell software, there is an "adder" now for the "legacy." Should be fairly cheap.

I seem to remember the early versions of CLX being on floppy (master) disks like 5 and 500s were. Probably have to just call tech connect to find out what the options are these days for the early versions.