Knowing Where To Look Within Database of a Siemens Controller

robinhartley

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm trying to read data from a Siemens 840 D machine controller. I've successfully connected into the X127 port of the PLC and can read data from the various databases using Snap7 (a library for interfacing with Siemens PLCs).

However, currently it is just a load of bytes and I don't know what they mean.

image.png

From the Siemens manual (here: https://cache.industry.siemens.com/dl/files/279/53878279/att_40780/v1/IM5_en_en-US.pdf), it describes each of the data items available, but I am struggling to know in which database and which location to look for each item.

E.g. spindle speed is in database 4, at position 210, and is 12 bytes long.

If you have any knowledge on how to know where to look for each piece of information, I'd be delighted to get your input.

Many thanks,
Robin