Is there an "MS SQL Server Express for dummies" somewhere ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi, I am at the moment fumbling with testing some programs that work with SQL databases.
In order to have an SQL database to test with, I figured that I could use the free MS SQL Server Express. I downloaded and installed it, but find that I cannot get started with it. I need a push or two in the right direction.

I did check on MS website, but there are only some online lectures that I find too generic, and then there is a 135 MB "book" which I find a bit too much.

I just need to be able to send SQL commands and see the result. I dont need to be a certified SQL database expert.
I need a hands-on guide for noobs, and it must be specifically for MS SQL Server 2005 Express.

Aha. I thought that it was something extra for the advanced user. I will download it and give it a look asap. Thanks.

I know SQL structure and commands reasonably well allready.

Hi there
If I can learn from this place then surely you can do too!
Ok this site is all about the bacis of the SQL SERVER for DUMMIES.

Just give a look at it, I found its explanation very easy.

If you already know what this site teaches then.............

WWW.QUACKIT.COM

I hate how Microsoft labeles their DB frontends - that's one of the peskier things about SQL Server in general. Officially, I think it was Enterprise Manager for SQL Server 2000, and SQL Server Managment Studiofor 2005. Alternatively download third part tools like the DB Tools frontend, which at least used to be free for one database type (you can get a version compatible with pretty much any). You can also use MS Access via an ODBC connection, but that's not the preferred method.

I've never seen much of a frontend tutorial beyond the sections that cover it in the beefy SQL Server books. It's pretty straightforward clicking around when you get there.

I've found SQL Zoo to be a good site to learn to construct basic SQL queries.

S7Guy said:
Did you also install the SQL Management Studio Express? This will be necessary. Otherwise, sql is very easy to learn.