Crimson 3.0 (459) Tag States Import

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Working on a multi-state tag with 527 states.

I wanted to edit these external to Crimson, so I made a few manually then exported to the unicode text file type. I edited the file to my liking and then imported it back into the tag. Now, all 526 states are errored with "= WAS" prefixed in the text field for every state. It doesn't seem to matter whether I edit the file with notpad, notepad++, or excel. I tried removing all special characters (double quotation marks seem to cause other quirks), but it didn't help.

The other thing that it doesn't like is leading zeros for the value. This was an easy fix, though, but having 527 errors in the text no matter what I have tried so far has me befuddled.

I really don't want to fix all these by hand.

How can I import states without errors?

Last edited:
Okay I plowed through the repairs (typing TAB,TAB,TAB,HOME,DEL,DEL,DEL,DEL,DEL 526 times).

Then I needed to apply those states to 8 other tags, so I did the copy and paste special thing and only get 500 states per tag.

Apparently there is a limit of 500 states, but the import feature is oblivious....I don't know if this is why I had all the "=WAS " before...after my fingers get some rest I may try again.

EDIT: Importing 20 or 500 states gives the same problem. All text fields get prefixed with "=WAS "
Later I may try shortening the text fields to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Okay I plowed through the repairs (typing TAB,TAB,TAB,HOME,DEL,DEL,DEL,DEL,DEL 526 times).

Then I needed to apply those states to 8 other tags, so I did the copy and paste special thing and only get 500 states per tag.

Apparently there is a limit of 500 states, but the import feature is oblivious....I don't know if this is why I had all the "=WAS " before...after my fingers get some rest I may try again.

EDIT: Importing 20 or 500 states gives the same problem. All text fields get prefixed with "=WAS "
Later I may try shortening the text fields to see if that makes any difference.

What did you edit with? If you used Excel, it probably stripped out the double quotes that are required for the text portion of the state.

You can duplicate this by creating a tag and making it a multi state. Then export the default values (they will be S1, S2, S3) and then import it back - no problems. Then open it with notepad and delete double quotes around the S1. When you save and then re-import you will get =Was S1.

Open it back up in notepad and re-add the double quotes around the S1 and save and it will import properly.

If you are editing in notepad, I'm not sure what is happening.

Well, then perhaps I screwed up by creating a few of them without quotes in Crimson before exporting. I noticed the quotes showed up in Notepad++ and I think I removed them since some of the error codes I copied from a user manual contained quotes within the text that resulted in some weirdness.

So, in the text fields I need the quotes, correct? I suppose that is how Crimson knows the difference between text and expressions?

My intent was to monitor the major error code in a SLC 5/0x and use multiple states to display the error codes' descriptions copied right from Logix500 online help. Since the I/O errors are coded with the most significant byte representing the slot number (or file number for a different range of errors) I simply made a state for each error and each possible slot number (1-30). This resulted in 527 states. After I had trouble I did some rtfm and noticed the 500 state limit.

So, I rebuilt my tag and changed it to reverse the bytes so I can use the range method of matching and reduce the number of states to about 102. Now I need to learn how to extract the slot number or file number and insert that into the text to end up with all 527 possible error messages.

I also need to test my understanding of how the ranges work, and I may be able to reduce the number of states even further.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, then perhaps I screwed up by creating a few of them without quotes in Crimson before exporting. I noticed the quotes showed up in Notepad++ and I think I removed them since some of the error codes I copied from a user manual contained quotes within the text that resulted in some weirdness.

So, in the text fields I need the quotes, correct? I suppose that is how Crimson knows the difference between text and expressions?

My intent was to monitor the major error code in a SLC 5/0x and use multiple states to display the error codes' descriptions copied right from Logix500 online help. Since the I/O errors are coded with the most significant byte representing the slot number (or file number for a different range of errors) I simply made a state for each error and each possible slot number (1-30). This resulted in 527 states. After I had trouble I did some rtfm and noticed the 500 state limit.

So, I rebuilt my tag and changed it to reverse the bytes so I can use the range method of matching and reduce the number of states to about 102. Now I need to learn how to extract the slot number or file number and insert that into the text to end up with all 527 possible error messages.

I also need to test my understanding of how the ranges work, and I may be able to reduce the number of states even further.

Thanks for the reply.

You won't include the double quotes in Crimson, but they are included in the export file.

The attached file shows what it looks like in Crimson:

This is what is exported (when opened in notepad):
Data Text
1 "S1"
2 "S2"
3 "S3"

If you edit the file, make sure that the text is enclosed in double quotes.

I'm not sure I am following what you are trying to accomplish, but that may be where the problem comes in.

I haven't tried this before, but it appears that the Text Value of the Multi can call a program. You could probably figure out a way to create a program that returns a string based on the criteria (slot number/file number, etc.) if you can find a way to access them through a tag.

In other words, the Text could be =Program1().

Thanks again. Yes, I was thinking of writing a program to return the slot number from the tag and poking that call into the middle of the text if possible. I will play with this some more tomorrow. After I get it working flawlessly (am I overconfident?) I may share it with the forum along with some other basic things as sort of a SLC template file for the G3.