can't upload from or get online to controllogix 5555

I do not have a copy of the .ACD file on my laptop at work. I am new to the plant and don't know where to find it. I went on the network and tried to upload the .ACD from the controllogix 5555. I seems it won't let me, it wants me to have the file in order to let me upload from the processor or get online to it. Is there a way around this? I would like to upload it, but at the very least get online with the controller.

It seems like it is making you point to a file, but if you type in a file name it will ask you if you want to create it when it doesn't find it. It will then create a new file and upload the program.

Precisely, well put, it is absolutely making me point to a file. So I should be able to just point it to a random .ACD file and it will let me upload? I thought of trying that I was just concerned about messing up the random .ACD I pointed to. I'll make a copy of one and store it elsewhere then do what you suggested. Thanks very much, I'm sure that will work for me. I just wanted another opinion.

In my opinion I should be able to just go online or upload from the controller with or without pointing to a file.

The joys of PLC programming......

If you don't have the offline file, you need to create a new one. The software just wants you to give it a name when you "upload and create new".

Don't just point to "any old ACD file" and hit Upload.

Gotcha, thanks much clear as day now. I feel dumb as well, so simple, it's just I have never had this issue before. Past programs I've worked with are ones I have created and have always had the offline file. Just signed up today to this site and already proven useful.

Much appreciated guys thanks